Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gylden_gw

1884 Taylor Tunnicliff & Company Silver Hallmarked Bowl

Gylden
13 years ago

Hello,

I'm selling this 1884 Taylor Tunnicliff & Company bowl. All information on this item You can find on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280618519320&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Just copy this link. I want this bowl to find good home as it is one of best looking bowls I've ever seen.

If You have any questions, or information about this item please contact me on gylden88@hotmail.com

Comments (21)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

No doubt, but this isn't an ad space.

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry... Just thought someone might be interested in it and I don't want it to go to bad home, plus I also want to know more about my bowl.

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pictures. Do You know where I could repair this bowl? And how much it might cost?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of bowl

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please tell me where can I fix antiques?
    Thank You in advance!

• mfrog
    13 years ago

Why do you think it was meant to be used on ships? It's a fruit or serving bowl with an english sterling band, made in Birmingham, your photo of the marks is too fuzzy for me to make out the date code.

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is a sign (with letter H triangle and a star on it) This sign means it was made for ship (I was told so). Letter k. You can see everything clear in ebay page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better pictures

• lindac
    13 years ago

Well...it seems you bought it very recently for 18 BPS.
    That 5th mark is an import mark, meaning it was made somewhere else and presented at the Birmingham office for assay.
    You can often double your money if you buy wisely on eBay....but not in silver these days....and certainly not with a damaged item.
    Sorry....
    Linda c

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You for information about 5th mark. My advisor was right this item was made for ships (shipping). Still I have someone buying it for triple i did, and my advisor said it would be worth 200-350 if no damage. And now It could be worth 100-150.

One again thank You for information!

• lindac
    13 years ago

I posted another reply....which obviously didn't make the post...
    When I found your better pictures and enlarged them, that mark on the left is the makers mark.
    The marksa re the date letter, the city amrk, the assay mark the duty amrk and the makers mark....if there would be an import mark, that would be in addition.
    there was not a british mark on silver meant to be used on ships.
    The Taylor and Tunnicliff company made the pottery bowl.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

The bowl is nice, but a silver mount doesn't automatically mean that it was for use on a ship. People had mounts made for all sorts of things.

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ideefixe I never said that silver mount means it is for ships... Please read more carefully. I said sign with H with star (first from left) means it suppose to go on ship or to be shipped away... Still that is what my advisor have tolled me...
    lindac thank You again for comment. :) do you know what that 5th mark means? do you know where I could find more about hallmarks?

• mfrog
    13 years ago

The fifth mark is the date code. I still don't understand why you think it's for ships. I've been in the antiques trade for 15 years & never heard of such a thing. Perhaps if I could actually see the mark you're referring to, but I can't make it out properly.

• lindac
    13 years ago

The mark with the star means nothing like ( meant to be shipped away)...the import marks on british silver look nothing like anything on your piece.
    The 5th mark should be the makers marks....but in looking in my reference books, I see no Birmingham maker using that mark.
    Then I look more closely and see that the Birmingham anchor is sideways and it looks like it's in the wrong cartouche for the date letter!

Also your listing on ebay lists it as a "solid silver" item. It is not, it's a pottery bowl with a broken foot and a rim at the top that seems to be solid silver but the hallmarks don't follow true.
    And you have 100% feedback for 15 items, several of which have been your purchases. And you don't state your place of origin. nope...I wouldn't take a chance on your sale!
    The whole deal sounds dubious to me....I wouldn't be bidding.

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I say 5th sign I mean first from left ( I know what letter means...). Bowl is in both solid silver and pottery categories. It is in solid silver so more people could find it. Plus top ring is from solid silver. I don't know how stupid you should be to think it is all from silver...
    Have You been drinking?

• lindac
    13 years ago

I stated that 5th mark should be the makers mark...reading left to right
    Maker's mark, duty mark, city mark, assay mark and date letter....but the anchor is not what it should ba for Birmingham silver with that date letter.
    But you list the composition as solid silver. That's misleading.
    No I have not been drinking....but this exchange may drive me to it!!

• mfrog
    13 years ago

English hallmarks are read from left to right. The fifth mark is the date code. The first mark could be a maker's mark but I cannot read it. I've seen quite a few hallmarks with the wrong style cartouche for the city mark & it can quite often be sideways.
    But besides that, the bowl is very damaged not just on the foot rim, but there is severe flaking inside.

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

First: 5th mark reading from left to right is letter k (date mark) stands for 1884. Do You agree?
    Next: 1st mark reading from left to right is H with Star. Stands for made somewhere else and was shipped to Birmingham. True?
    Finally: anchor. Do You say that because that it is horizontal? It can be horizontal. It is frame and mane anchor that show date.
    Sorry, if I'm driving You crazy. If this helps - You do help me a lot with all your comments. I'll be better seller next time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallmarks

• lindac
    13 years ago

First: 5th mark reading from left to right is letter k (date mark) stands for 1884. Do You agree?
    Next: 1st mark reading from left to right is H with Star. Stands for made somewhere else and was shipped to Birmingham. True?
    NO....not true....that is the maker's mark....the silversmith who made the ring at the top of the chipped bowl.
    Next mark from the left, is the duty mark, the monarch's head showing that the duty on the silver has been paid, next
    is the assay mark, the lion showing the purity, then the city mark....which is an ancho0r, not as it should be for the year 1884/85, and lastly the date letter, showing 1884/5.
    Finally: anchor. Do You say that because that it is horizontal? It can be horizontal. It is frame and mane anchor that show date.And the frame is wrong too....the anchor should not be horizontal, possibly on some very round or hard to mark pieces but not this bowl.
    Sorry, if I'm driving You crazy. If this helps - You do help me a lot with all your comments. I'll be better seller next time.

I suspect you bought this bowl 2 weeks ago, found it's not what it seems to be and are trying to unload it.

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lindac It is what it is. I'm selling it to make profit. I have bought it really cheap, and I can make profit from it.
    I've put more better quality pictures so more people would be interested, put more information about Taylor Tunnicliff and Co.
    You think it is fake, but You are wrong... I wish I could show You this bowl so would see it yourself.
    Horizontal anchor makes it more interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please see horizontal anchor

• Gylden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mfrog Yes unfortunately it does have damage I'm not hiding it. Do You know where it would be possible to fix it? Do You know how much it would cost?

• mfrog
    13 years ago

As I'm in Canada, I would have no idea where you would take it to have it repaired. Ask around some of your local antiques shops where they take their things to.