Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
country_bumpkin_al

Want Info in Old Gruen Pendant Watch

country_bumpkin_al
12 years ago

I want to sell this, but want to be fair about pricing. All I really know is it says Gruen (under the number 12) and Shockproof 17 Jewels above the number 6, and t's about the size of a quarter.

{{gwi:1373912}}

Comments (6)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Are there any other markings on the case? Does the back open? any marks in there? Could ti be gold filled? or perhaps 10 K or 14 K...
    Linda C

• country_bumpkin_al
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was told the back comes off, but I haven't tried to remove it, so I have no idea if there are any markings. I'll try looking tomorrow. Thanks!!

• calliope
    12 years ago

Watches this size were quite popular in the first decade of the twentieth century. Gruen made a fine watch, and I don't think you should just 'ask' online. This should be taken into a jeweler and be appraised. If they offer to buy it from you, get a second appraisal somewhere else and compare them. You never mentioned the source. Has this been passed down in the family?

• country_bumpkin_al
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I still haven't had a chance to try and get the back off. Calliope.. got it from a friend that needed $5 for a pack of cigarettes! Go figure! :/

• lindac
    12 years ago

Gruen made "affordable" watches. I remember a resurgence od pendant watches about early 50's, watches meant to hang on fairly sturdy chains about 23 inches long....not the long chains with the slides of an earlier era.
    If it is gold filled or plated, there should be be numbers inside the case telling you this.
    Frankly I suspect it's costume jewelery. My Mickey Mouse watch that I got in 1941 was a Gruen.
    Does it work?
    Linda C

• calliope
    12 years ago

Gruen made affordable watches, yes. I've had a Gruen and it wasn't expensive. They also made fancy gold watches. Yes, it might be costume jewelry. It also might not. That's why a jeweler should see it instead of taking a hunch to the bank from a photo and little description. Most more modern costume jewelry didn't have seventeen jewels and most of the later women's brooch and pendant watches weren't that tiny. I have never had a jeweler charge me for a look-see. I've come into some pretty nice items over the years pretty cheaply, sold by people who assumed their stuff was junk.

BTW vintage costume jewelry can bring a pretty nice profit too.