Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie825_gw

WH Grindley pattern?

julie825
18 years ago

HI everyone,

I have been an avid follower of the homesite appliance forums, but now need some assistance with an old set of china. I am trying to find a way to identify a pattern without looking at hundreds of little pictures. It is a set of china that is stamped WH Grindly England on the back. It is white china with an aquablue rim that contains a floral pattern and peacocks. It is not the Bird of Paradies pattern. The only color is in the band around the rim of the plates. Same band rimming the cups etc. It is a family set and I believe it could date back to 1900-1920's. Thankyou for any suggestions.

Comments (43)

• triciae
    18 years ago

Julie, WH Grindly is the Tunstall (Staffordshire region), England manufacturer of your china. Your time frame would be consistent with this manufacturer. They have been in business since approximately 1890 or so & are still operating (I think?).

It would be much easier to identify the pattern with a picture. Is there a maker's mark other than the company name on the back? You'd have to research the company's various backstamp marks to pinpoint exactly when your dishes were made.

• irislover7b
    18 years ago

Go to www.replacements.com and look in china, then in Grindley, pattern gri291. It's got a floral and bird pattern on the rim, along with a blue band. If that's not it, in the search box on that website, put in "grindley birds" and check the others that show up. You may be able to find it like that. I've id'd china that way.

• julie825
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, Thankyou for your suggestions. I feel really stupid, because I found a name on one of the saucers and that is the pattern. It is called "Braintree" made in 1920. I had only looked at cups, salt & pepper and some other pieces before and they did not have the name on them.

• sherry5557
    15 years ago

I too have a Grindley Pattern that I need to have identified. It is a complete set of 8 place settings plus some serving pieces that may be as early as about 1920 as it belonged to my husband's grandmother. I looked through the patterns shown on www.replacements.com but could not see it.

The plates are scalloped with a brown and orange triangular repetitive border pattern, with some gold trim. The mark on the back is a masted sailing ship or tall boat with Grindley underneath, and is apparently circa 1936-54 from one source I looked at. Photos are shown on the link below.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it. We would like to value the set for insurance purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook Photo Album - Grandma's China

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

We recently visited a place in Ft. Worth called Dishes From the Past aka dishesfromthepast.com. Sure there are similar places around the country but this place has a hugh inventory of discontinued patterns. Not advertising for them, we just had a nice experience as we live in the area.

• sally-2009
    15 years ago

My WH GRindley pattern is Milton, green with a gold line through it. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to find more info on this patttern?

• jek73_hotmail_co_uk
    13 years ago

hi please can any one help, i have a plate set stamped w h grindley & co ltd.england.was my nans, and seems to be quite rare,buttercup in colour and has a twisted green and yellow leaf design around the edge, art deco design, i would be grateful if anybody could shed some light on this.

• liveboldly1_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I am so glad I found you...I have some Grindley which I would love to identify and eventually sell.
    There is a sugar bowl and creamer, and the cups/bowls(?) have handles on both sides. They are a creamy yellow with a band of tulips (?) and art deco edging.
    Does anyone know anything of these?
    Thank you

• annmaryprice_yahoo_co_uk
    13 years ago

i have a dinner plates gravy jug meat plates and lots more of a grindley made in england with a picture of a sailing boat on back of all in was given to me over 20 yrs ago and was wondering in it was worth any think

• lindac
    13 years ago

No one can help unless you post a picture.
    Also you can search yourself on Replacements.com they will have pictures of many patterns and the price on each piece.
    Linda C

• r98holland_aol_com
    12 years ago

can someone help out a New England Yankee?
    I found in my parents attic seveal bowls, a sugar bowl and a several plates .
    On the back it says " W.H. Grindleyco.Ltd and under that it says " Chelsea Ivory " and it has a reg. #
    I have no idea what it's worth or anything.
    Can anyone help me out ?
    Thanks
    tom deWitt

• blueheron
    12 years ago

Here is a replacement site that has 2 items in the pattern, one is sold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robbins Nest/Replacements

• janwayne
    10 years ago

I have had this lovely dish forever. But I have yet to find a name for the pattern ....I have checked the "Replacements" site as mentioned above, with no luck.

I think, by the mark on the back it is 1920s. I have no idea what kind of bird is depicted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• janwayne
    10 years ago

Here is the back of the dish

• Liz Odonnell
    6 years ago

I have a large xollection of white tulip design does any one no any thing about them what year they were made and r they worth any money

• silverboquet
    6 years ago

This is what I have it is a set of soup bowl with matching plates.
    When I research it came up with two result one says early 40s but one lady said she has the exact same pattern but dinner plates and was given to her mother before the 1940 so the early 40s dropped off my list, then I found somewhere else where it is said in the 20s so I settled in the 20s but still looking for confirmation.

Would appreciate any additional info

Thank you

• lindac92
    6 years ago

How about a clear picture of the back stamp?

• Tania Perry
    6 years ago

Hello, I have 2 platters

• lindac92
    6 years ago

They are The Rosalind pattern by Grindley.
    Lovely pattern, hard to find.

• Tania Perry
    6 years ago

Are they worth anything? I only have the 2 platters. I’m always terrified I will break them.

• lindac92
    6 years ago

What's "Anything"?
    since it seems to be hard to find....probably you would have to pay $200 or more each to replace them....but to sell them? You might be lucky to get $50 each since there seems to be not much demand

• Tania Perry
    6 years ago

Thank you.

• Gerald Gillis
    6 years ago

Any idea on pattern date?

• lindac92
    6 years ago

It was made in the years 1925-1926.....
    Sorry I don't know the pattern.
    The registry number gives the date of manufacture.

• lindac92
    6 years ago

It's very "art deco" looking and probably has nasturshum in the name of the pattern....if that helps your search.

• colleenoz
    6 years ago

It’s “The Litchfield” (unfortunate name for pretty dishes). Just so you’re aware, “Chelsea Ivory” is the name of the design of the porcelain part. Lots of different patterns were painted onto Chelsea Ivory dishes.

• HU-803556264
    5 years ago

I have a set of 8 minus on cup and two serving dishes for this set. It is called ivory with a green pattern square dinner plates.. Bought sometime after 1931 in Canada. Should be only one platter. Cannot delete for some reason.

. Anyone have any information.??Pattern No. 73755 Fairley.

• lindac92
    5 years ago

Look up British registry numbers....the number should give the date it was made.

• mcfenton
    5 years ago

Does anyone know if these dishes ( by Grindly, England) have a reasonable amt of lead. Are they safe to use?????

• lindac92
    5 years ago

I am sure they are safe.

• Kelli A
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I found these at my local Goodwill store and loved the pattern. I can’t find them on replacements or any of the other websites mentioned. I have combed through hundreds of photos and have been unable to find anything with this mark/backstamp or with this pattern. Can anyone help?

m

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

So, what's the backstamp? I can't see it through the china.

• Abi Hawkins
    4 years ago

Hi, I have also inherited some pieces, my mother in law says that they belonged to her Granny so late 1800's early 1900's. I've checked the above links but my pattern isn't on there.
    The other odd thing is there is no stamp as such. Each piece has a slightly different mark on the bottom. I've attached a few bottoms. Does the lack of stamp make them extremely rare or counterfeit? Thanks in anticipation.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Abi not all pieces were marked. It depended on the manufacturer. You might look under Ironstone as the company manufactured earthenware and something called ironstone china.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

The pattern is severne by Grindley and co....not rare to not have all the pieces the same.
    No country of origin so either they were brought into the US as household goods or they are made before 1890.

• Caroline
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! I have a few pieces from my Grand a who received this bowl from her parents. I was wondering if anyone knows the pattern? The closest i came to its twin is a blue and white pattern with the same edge and scallop as my all white version. i tried to research my pattern on the internet but did Not see it exactly listed. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

• Denise Tayles
    3 years ago

Can anyone help to identify this pattern?

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

Have you trawled through the Grindley section on Replacements.com?

• Scott Philbrick
    4 months ago

I have a 1925 makers mark set of Ivory that I need help nailing down. Here and on Replacements.com I found the ‘Lichfield’ pattern being almost identical except the flowers themselves look like poppies or similar flower instead of hibiscus flowers. On the back there is a dark stamp on some pieces saying ‘Bosworth’ in small letters… ideas?

• colleenoz
    4 months ago

As stated earlier, "Chelsea Ivory" is the name of the plate blanks used to paint the pattern onto. Lots of Grindley patterns are painted onto Chelsea Ivory blanks.

Would you believe your pattern is called "Bosworth"?

• Scott Philbrick
    4 months ago

That’s what I thought but I could find no such pattern mentioned anywhere online so I was wondering what else it could be? And the age of the Bosworth pattern if that’s what it was…

• Scott Philbrick
    4 months ago

I apologize… I did not look under ‘discontinued patterns’… but I would still like to know the age as I find the use of Uranium glaze on this set very interesting and am wondering how many others were made in the Grindley Company with a similar glazing…