Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmacc_gw

Can someone tell me about this gents chest please?

kmacc
13 years ago

This is a chest I bought and was told it was called a "gents chest". It has a mirror that opens up and reveals three slotted compartments, which are each labeled; collars, handkerchiefs, collars. As you can see it has 5 drawers and then a door that opens on the right that appears to be a place to hang clothes.

There is a small logo which says "JS ltd glasgow, for furniture as it should be".

I am trying to find out what I can about this piece to include a price.

Photo's below.

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: gents chest

Comments (18)

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Looks between the wars to me. Vaguely deco. I am not sure but it can't be too late because of the separate collars and studs.

• lindac
    13 years ago

European....looks likely about 1930-ish....as Pal said vaguely Deco.

• kmacc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to each of you for the feedback. I have to admit that I do not understand the term "vaguely deco" as it refers to furniture. I can only guess but would be very appreciative if someone could elaborate.
    I sure would like to know if you can estimate a price on it. I paid $100.00 for it and was worried I paid too much. Once again, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Art Deco, Streamline modern, Moderne....plain lines, slightly rounded edges, machinish looking hardware.

$100 is not too much:)

• Fori
    13 years ago

I like it.

I will take Linda's "European" and raise it to a "Scottish". OK, I'm cheating and reading the tag. =P

• kmacc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you and I will try to provide you with more details. I also added more photo's to my earlier link.

The size of the chest/dresser is approximately 33 inches wide, 19 3/4 inches deep and 47 inches tall.

There is what looks like a 'P' underneath the top drawer.

Underneath the second to the top drawer in a corner is a red circle that is divided in two. Half of the circle says 'BB' and the other half says '9-4'. This is a guess as it is hard to read.

I also found what is a small square piece of paper, not regular paper, maybe some type of sticker paper, that had two series of numbers.

As I said I have added photo's of these as well as the hardware. Any information to include a value would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: chest

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

"Any information to include a value would be greatly appreciated." Pricing varies wildly depending on where you are trying to sell it.

"I paid $100.00 for it and was worried I paid too much." What does too much have to do with it. Unless you intend to resell it, don't worry. Is $100 too much to pay for a well-built dresser of that size? What would $100 get you if you bought new furniture?

Heres a few from Walmart - mass produced on "engineered wood" and costing $100-139.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Laguna-5-Drawer-Dresser/9223932
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/South-Shore-SoHo-5-Drawer-Chest-Black/12557617

What would a similar (wood and wood veneer) dresser of medium-grade construction cost new? $400-900!
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/valencia-tall-dresser/?pkey=cdressers

It's a well-made, nicely styled dresser that is light years beyond Walmart OR Pottery Barn ... at a Walmart price.

Feel better?

• kmacc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I see this forum has people who think they know things and try to answer that away while not giving you an answer, probably because they do not know. And while adding a tad bit of smart *s* to their answer.

Oh High & Mighty LazyGarden, I asked because it does matter to me & my intentions are no ones business. I didn't ask for a comparison from walmart or pottery barn I was asking about the particular dresser I got.

And no I really don't feel better knowing there are twit's like you on these forums who like annoying other's with your holier-than-thou self.

So good day to you to.....

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I don't think LG meant anything by it other than considering that a not-very-well made chest of new construction is more than $100, you got something that is interesting, nice looking, sturdy and has a history too it...all things that can add either tangible or intangible value :)

• lindac
    13 years ago

jmacc....if you were looking for a free appraisal....please realize it would be worth just what you paid.
    I for one am just a little bit ticked off at someone who asks for information and then gets all huffy at someone who gives some feedback.

• kmacc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once again, for clarification, I was asking for "ANY information to include value" on my piece. I wasn't just asking for an appraisal nor was I asking for comparisons or for the dose of smart *s* that was in that response.
    And now I got someone else who says they are "ticked" off at me because I responded to someone who came across as a smart *s* and didn't provide me any information that I had requested.
    I didn't see in any rules here that says that I should start all post with "I come in Peace". But for some reason I don't think that would have helped.
    Once again all I can say is WOW! This forum sure knows how to welcome people.
    This whole "antiques & collectibles" forum is something else. "Holyier than thou" forum seems more fitting.
    When I found this site I was impressed and was going spread the word, now can you guess the word I will have to spread about it?
    And for all the other stone throwers like lindac, go ahead and get it out of your system.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

Someone may have one of those books that list the major furniture manufactures of the western world. I don't and cannot come up with any information on JS LTD Glassglow, but to state the obvious, the gents chest was made in England. Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the chest was constructed from oak veneer plywood. If this is so, that would mean it was made post WWII. The style is nondiscript and doesn't represent any particular period or style; it is strictly functional. The hardware looks to be steel, which would be for functionality. Provided it is still solid, an interested party might pay up to $500. I don't think this is something one would invest in for antique value. Rather, one would purchase this because of it's utility.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Someone:

Do you think that something after WWII would have had a compartment for collars and studs? I know the dress habits were different in Great Britain (but how much I don't know). That type of formal dressing seem out of date for the post-War era...what do you think?

• Fori
    13 years ago

I simply must insist it's from Scotland and not England! Yes, I'm going by the label, but it's not like an English company would pretend to be Glaswegian.

• someone2010
    13 years ago

You got me. I should have said made in the U.K. or Scotland, not English. The label says this as you so presciently detected.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Just teasing, Someone! You got the correct island without reading the label and that's impressive enough for me.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Hi,
    It reminds me of ship stateroom furniture from the 50's. When I was a kid, I went on some Easter cruises out of NYC w/parents. The staterooms had this kind of smaller-scale, light wood furniture. Well-secured, of course! Seeing as how Glasgow was a major shipbuilding centre (sp- LOL) I thought I'd put it out there.
    Casey

• Wagalot
    13 years ago

Quite a few people had the right info on your chest. It was made in Great Briton and was made for the masses. I have sold quite a few of these in various sizes but they all pretty much looked liked yours. They are great pieces and you did good on your price. If you buy a container of antiques from England anad ask for "Shipping Goods" this is the quality you will get. Good piece and value for the money.