Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name your poison and the instigator ;-)

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 7, 10 at 12:25

I searched and found old threads on 'what do you collect' but nothing current and since I'm new here hopefully 'old timers' don't mind doing an update and we can learn more about new and old participants.

I'm curious about what people collect, what do you treasure, what do you covet, is/are your collection(s) serious and only the best representations or frivolous and whatever makes you smile? Also, how did you come to collect what you do - was it a choice you made specifically, did it segue from something else, was someone else the instigator and started a collection for you?

Do tell!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name your poison and the instigator ;-)

The instigator was a collection of sterling olive spoons that I saw at an antique show in the early 90's & I fell hopelessly in love with Victorian & Art Nouveau silver. I collect mainly floral or aesthetic pieces in various patterns & assemble(or try to) place settings of each along with any unusual serving utensils that I can afford (or don't have). Like most addicts, I have passed the addiction on my SIL who now has a larger collection than I do! Both of us use our silver on a regular basis.

o

I collect...."stuff"...
Cheese scoopk, Mason's Pink Vista, white Ranson Havaland, flint glass cup plates, pattern glass child's mugs.....and apparently walnut drop leaf tables....:-P.
Cracked crocks for plants, figural old German and Polish glass christmas ornaments (which I am now deeply regretting!!)
Cow stuff, pitchers and mugs...linen napkins....
And battery operated singing or dancing stuffed animals....those are all 20 years old or less!
Linda C....for collector!

o

Pitchers (creamer sized), red and white transferware, odd handpainted salt/pepper shakers, ironstone (about reached my limit on that),other stuph :^)

o

Crystals, miniature anythings for my printer's tray, vintage sewing buttons, Red Rose Tea Miniatures (which were give-aways in packages of tea). Most of the bigger stuff has been sold, or appropriately farmed out to family members for safe keeping :)

o

***Pitchers (creamer sized)*** jaybird - me, too!!!! I want to see yours! This is so cool learning what everyone is drawn to :-)

I have interesting things in onsies and twosies but theyre not collections. The true collections are cream pitchers and clocks but I cant claim full credit for either.

Instigator #1 was my grandmother who always brought a cream pitcher for me from her travels. She made sure they were representative of the of the country or area so they range from hand made rustic pottery to old fine bone china to enameled metal, some old some new. Ive continued collecting, but dont often get to exotic places, so pick up pieces where I can. In recent years Ive veered into crackle glass pitchers the most but am still just in it for the eye appeal I have no real knowledge about any of the pieces I have.

Instigator #2 was my dad who passed his love of old clocks throughout the family. He gave me one as a housewarming gift for my first home and another as a bday present long ago. His interest began as a young husband and father after convincing his FIL to part with a beautiful grandfather clock he found lying on its back, languishing in the attic of all places!!! He struggled to get it running and when he did, his obsession was born. Purchases were limited with a family to support but he bought what he could, always learning and trading up. Years later he and my mother traveled more and he got serious, buying some wonderful pieces. My brother and I have them now and by virtue of living in an old house with oddball 84" ceilings, I have the original grandfather clock which is 8 tall. I cant imagine living without the ticking, the chiming, the ritual winding its the heartbeat of my home.

o

I'm sure I can't remember all the different things I collect, but here is a partial list. My first collection was given to me by my grandmother, teacups. Now I collect old pink and blue Fenton. Cobalt blue glassware, emerald green depression and cut glassware, cranberry glass, vintage pins,(and other vintage jewelry) Camark pottery, pastel animal planters, vintage postcards, white matte pottery, vintage Ideals magazines, cordial glasses, anything art deco, rose plates, Westmoreland Doric glass, Miramar pottery, vintage hats, vintage furs, vintage bags, and things I used to collect, but have thinned down are dolls and accessories, sewing gadgets, and misc. china collections. Then there are holiday collections, santas, snowmen, bunnies, and a new collection this year of turkey things. People always say I'm so easy to buy for and are constantly bringing me things and saying, "When I saw this I thought of you". I have tried to thin things down but it is really an addiction (and a lot of fun).
Syble

o

I don't collect one thing per se and nothing 'new'. I can't pass up old housekeeping and kitchen tools and utensils. I have butter churns and applesauce paddles, rolling pins, iron hand mixers, butter molds and of course pottery and old glassware. God, do I have pottery and most of it local. Anything to do with yarns and fabrics like old sewing machines, tapestries, embroidered or quilted items. Furniture. Small farming, beekeeping or carpenter's tools. Old weather forecasting items, thermometers and weight driven clocks. Signage and advertising. Old lamps and lanterns. Japanese items. Old, old magazines and pictures. Not much into fancy silver or jewelry.

o

I was born into the trade, so grew up surrounded by motley stuff! I was raised with the clear understanding that the crockery, country furniture, rugs, linens, glass and all were older than me thus more deserving of respect. Eventually I settled into what I handle for my business, which changes a little here and there. Depends on availability/affordability and interest-and what I learn.
When I remarried I got my then-new husband hooked too, but he picks up where I leave off, with just enough overlap to guarantee bickering at auctions.

Currently my 'collections' are English & Irish, mid and late Georgian glass, sterling, small furniture, boxes (from the big cutlery boxes to all manner of caddy boxes to the teensiest patch boxes); American up to and through Federal period silver, furniture, and glass, plus decoratives; English, Irish, Scots, Canadian, & American schoolgirl samplers, portrait miniatures (American, English, Irish, French), clocks and timepieces both American and English, and barometers; plus bits & bobs of the more eccentric pieces and whatever else strikes my crazed feverish mind. They're all my collections until they're sold.

And every time I meet another in the trade it just reinforces my love for this wackiness. That goes for the folks on this forum too.

o

Cookbooks (about 500 now) both old and new, vintage sewing stuff (patterns, notions, lace), vintage linens (embroidered fancy work, tablecloths, napkins, pillowcases) aprons from all decades, vintage glass and china (milk glass, depression, Haviland), vintage silk scarves and jewelry. And about anything else that strikes my fancy at an auction or estate sale.

Instigators... Julia Child who taught me how to cook, an old boyfriend who gave me a few pieces of McCoy pottery 20 years ago, and my Dad who appreciated things from the past and left me his father's 19th century book of home remedies.

o

Don't know why I only listed flatware in my earlier post. I've developed 'habits' for Mason's Manchu Red transferware, red restaurant ware (that doesn't look like most restaurant ware) in a pattern named Arbor by Mayer, mulberry ironstone, & silverplate holloware that has exceptional naturalistic grape details. And antebellum house parts that I may use some day, and rare plants that most people never heard of and...............

o

Oh gosh, what I love...
-Metalware, specifically pewter and copper. Pewter candlesticks being most collected, chamber being favored.
-Old pitchers + bowls sets, small to large.
-Certain pottery lines, mostly pitchers.
-Wood furniture, mostly old chests for storage of anything, and accent tables.
-Antique wooden chairs are an obsession. The more rustic, the better. Ladder back, Windsor or rocking. Really hard for me to pass by any of those. My uncle has two hickory chairs, Windsor style, handmade by my great grandfather. I hope someday to have at least one (but for now would much rather have my Uncle around, he's 84, full of life and tales and one of my favorite people to spend time with.)
-Crocks/jugs. Have many in all shapes and sizes. Have one of my mom's that I know is valuable, it was older when she got it over 50 yrs ago and rarely seen today. Most of the jugs were found intact near very old wells and streams on farms where I grew up.
-Small plates. Not whole sets, not dinner size. Just small, unusual or pretty dessert size plates. (I consider that my 'quirk' collection, lol.)
-Antique quilts and small linens or doilies, but what I have and cherish are creations from the hands of my grandmothers.

You know, rereading my list it occurs to me that nearly all of what I'm attracted to are things that were around me as a child. I had a very rural/small town Norman Rockwell childhood. Guess it's the fond memories those things evoke.
But there's something else, too. Am sure many here can relate. Non-antique lovers around me all view it as "old stuff" with a wrinkled nose. For me, it's got a life of its own, rich with history, and I find myself wondering what kind of lives the owners lived, how they dressed, etc. That's what fascinates me, and I often wonder if others feel that too?

I'd have to say my parents were the instigators. Both enjoyed antiques. My father's not with us anymore, my mom's getting to the age where she's done acquiring. But they used to love to hit auctions, Dad especially. He had a fascination for very old books and maps. His collection is still at my mom's. Sometimes I'll just sit down and browse through his books, it's a nice way to still connect with him. ;)

o

Oh yes, the "reason" we collect fascinates me too. I'm reading an excellent book right now on this subject... "All the Best Rubbish - Being an Antiquary's Account of the Pleasures and Perils of Studying & Collecting Everyday Objects from the Past" by Ivor Noel Hume. He writes... "Escapism and nostalgia lie at the very roots of collecting, and the tree grows best in periods of national uncertainty, when the "good old days" seem safer and more desirable than either the present or the future." Like right now, I think. :)

o

William Manker pottery, WWI-era posters, and vintage group (pre WWII) photos.
I've cycled out of milk glass (real stuff too expensive, too much junk), pink lustreware (same reasons), early California pottery (just got tired of it), and vintage children's books (ran out of room).

I'd like to collect old diamonds, but my husband says we don't have any space to store them.

o

OK, the concept of declining to collect old diamonds for reasons of space surprised a "laugh out loud" out of me! Suggests a new thread topic, doesn't it, of "what I'd like to collect if I could afford it".

I actually collect a lot of new stuff, some useful some not: I buy handmade pottery, silver earrings, baskets, hats, woodwork, and other things, especially handmade crafts, with a compulsive touch. Not in really sick amounts, just more than a person needs. But put the word "used" into play, and my weaknesses are books, more recently records, textiles, and of all things, furniture. If we're to speak of space being a limiting factor, well, furniture is your collection nightmare.

I think it's driven by the fact that I'd like to refurnish the house but can't really do so to my satisfaction at the moment for a variety of reasons. Most of my collecting, in fact, is I think driven by the life or house I'd like to have, and as such that lovely quote above fits me to a T. Escapism from the constraints of my four walls and the people in them, however much I appreciate and value them, which I do.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here