Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serdraven

hibritten antique china hutch appraisal help

serdraven
14 years ago

Hello, I found this site and I was hoping someone from this forum could shed some light on my problem. My mom died the day before christmas eve, and have no room for this China hutch, I think its a hibritten it was stamped in one of the drawers. My dad said my mom got it off her dad he bought it for 10,000 not sure if that's true. I would think that was back atleast 30 40 years ago. Not sure if it was new then or older for that transaction, I have a photo if anyone knows what it is or the next step I could do to determine what it is and selling value would be great, Its in mint condition. Thanks Dave schenk.

[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/serdraven/MonJan18105716EST2010.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (7)

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

A $10,000 china cabinet? I somehow don't think so. It looks like a nice piece of furniture, though.

Hibriten was a company in Lenior, NC, and was bought up by Bernhardt Furniture Company in the 70s.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• justlinda
    14 years ago

Maybe one too many zeros. Just saw an ad for a Hibriten dining room set on Craigslist which comprised table, 6 chairs, hutch & buffet for $1300.

• calliope
    14 years ago

It's beautiful, of course. It is fine furniture, but not worth 10,000 then or now. From what I can see on the web, similar pieces are bringing from $900 the piece to $1300 for a comparable complete dining room set. One furniture appraiser commented that it's ashamed that Bernhart Hibriten doesn't bring what it should on the secondary market.

• serdraven
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info didn't think it was worth that much I thank all of u for
    your time

• lindac
    14 years ago

I have seen $10,000 china cabinets....they were made by Kittenger...I even bid on one! LOL!
    But that's not a $10,000 china cabinet.

• thunder1100_excite_com
    12 years ago

Hibritten had some very expensive lines in the 70's They were bought out and the lines turned more like Thomasville.
    They were always better then Stanley,and American of Martinsville. I have seen some of their best chinas go for near 10k and they were massive. John Wittcomb(sp) was the most expensive we carried and china alone was over 30k. The china set sold for 65k.

• SWEETHEART4BABY4
    12 years ago

HIBRITTEN WAS ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE FURNITURE SOLD IN 60'S AND 70'S AS MY GRANDFATHER WAS IN THE FURNITURE BUSINESS.
    MY MOTHER'S DINING ROOM TABLE HAS 4 LEAVES,(WHICH MEASURES 120") TWO ARM CHAIRS, 6 SIDE CHAIRS, WITH BOX SEATS AND TO THIS DAY THE UPHOLSTERY STILL LOOKS LIKE NEW! THE CHINA HUTCH WAS 76" LONG 84" HIGH AND A SEPARATE BUFFET WAS ALSO 76" THAT AT THE TIME WAS $10,000.00 AT COST AND MARK-UP WAS 110%

I WOULD GET SEVERAL APPRAISALS. OR BETTER YET MAKE SOME ROOM FOR IT AND HAVE SOME WONDERFUL FAMILY MEMORIES, BECAUSE NO ONE WILL APPRECIATE IT LIKE YOU!