Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livinitmn

Antique Picture Frame

livinitmn
11 years ago

Can anyone tell me anything about this frame. Acquired it cleaning out a farmhouse as part of my compensation. Would like to sell it but where would on do so?

Comments (7)

• livinitmn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

• livinitmn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Class picture?

• sam_md
    11 years ago

The value of your photograph is historic only. Identify the school, teachers, and students if you can. Then make a charitable gift to the local historical society.
    We have a one room schoolhouse near us. It always amazed me that only one teacher (my grandmother) taught there. It was pre-WWI. She had to start by building a fire in the stove. She taught all grades which I found amazing.
    Period hairstyles, footgear, etc are what is interesting about this pic, not $ value.

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

Check the back to see if there is a label or writing. Ornate frames have become very collectible and some very valuable.
    check E-Bay ... put in large vintage picture frames in the search box you may find something similar.

• karinl
    11 years ago

If you've got a local antique/household consignment store, that would work; otherwise your local craigslist. You'll end up with about the same amount either way - half the retail price, or the craigslist price. Then there's Ebay, but I would do it with a reserve. That is one lovely frame and I do like the picture as well.

Karin L

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    11 years ago

From a genealogical standpoint, take the photo out of the frame and try to find a historical society who wants it. Identification is the most important thing. Once you know where it was taken people from the area will know some names. If my ancestor could be identified, I'd be thrilled. Then sell the empty frame.

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

I have a class photo of Sunny Slope School, Oklahoma, ca 1914. My mother and an Aunt is in this photo. The teacher is Okra Cochran.

I am struck by the similarities of the windows and period clothing in the two photos.