Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Does this silver plating cream work?

Richard Dollard
12 years ago

I have a few pieces of silver plate that need touching up where the base finish is showing through? Does this product really work? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Silver-Plating-Kit-/190621344670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item2c61eae39e

Comments (7)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I have been told it does. It puts a very VERY thin layer of silver on the bare spots. Not very good for things you plan to use, but great for a tray that is displayed or a bad spot on a coffee server....but too expensive and will wear away for things like flatware.
    Linda C

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

If it's a really good piece, just spend the money and get it replated professionally.

• lindac
    12 years ago

It costs between $150 and $200 to have a coffee pot replated. A silver plate piece would have to have a great deal of sentimental value to get me to spend that on s plated ware. There are some sterling ones on ebay for not a lot more.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I'd love to see a before and after (hint hint!).

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just for kicks do any of you know a good company that does replating? In CT here there are none left. They made the environmental laws very strict an put them all out of business.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

I'm SO glad you asked about this! I have a few pieces that I don't use often that have a few spots... Not worth the money to have them professionally re-plated, but well worth the $19.99 to touch up. (I did have some things professionally re-plated, but yes - very pricey. Not for anything but 'the really good stuff'.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

Yes, before and after pics would be great! I bought a brush on silver once that looked like paint. It was meant for jewelers, but I couldn't imagine anyone using it and being happy with it. It was silver powder suspended in a turpentine, alcohol, or oil based solution (not sure which, but it was smelly). You were supposed to put layer after layer on, letting each dry, then burnish. It didn't look real. It was silver colored, but dull, more like pewter. Not much better than paint.