Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Thoughts?

Posted by tonylyn (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 9:45

Would really like to know what these are and what they were used for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Thoughts?

How about helping us a little bit like giving us a size reference, general area of the country, farm or urban, where you came about them.

o

They are about 5 inches tall and quite heavy for the size of them. The top unscrews and the two middle round pieces are felted on the inside. I bought them years ago at a yard sale in a small rural town in Northern Ontario. Not really farm country but there was a large iron ore mine here.

o

The felting tells me they were clamps for something with a surface you didn't want to scratch.

o

What about the bottoms we can't see? Screw or mounting holes, or do they look like they were made to just sit flat on a surface.

o

They look like they were made to just sit flat on a surface. Thanks for responding.

o

I wonder if they were some kind of weight for holding curtains or portieres in the desired place.
Casey

o

Its designed to clamp on a close fitting round piece such as a wood rail or tubular metal.

If the supports pivot, the construction is not quite right for an oar pivot on a row boat.

o

Looks similar to the weights that hold down the foot rail on our bar. Ours are timber like the bar and attached though. Can imagine they would do the job just fine though try researching old bar's or ornate bar's you may get a result.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here