o
Puzzled about Antique Buffet.

Posted by Riverwalker (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 9:25

This is located in Georgia. Any idea what era, and maker? Thanks. Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Puzzled about Antique Buffet.

Renaissance revival...I have no idea who made it.
Linda C

o

Looks like "eclectic Grand Rapids" style from about 1895. The piece is heavily influenced in form by Ren Rev, but the shallow carvings and preponderance of turnings is advised by Eastlake style.Had it been a pre-1876 Ren Rev piece, the form would have been more encrusted with more robust carving with more 3D.
Casey

o

The style tells me it came came from England, especially if it is walnut which it appears to be.

o

But the French-y rococo-lozenge-grid panels say otherwise.

o

I'm seeing more of a mahogany tone than walnut. That could be stain, but I've never seen walnut look reddish.

Sadly, I don't have room for it :-)

Karin L

o

I'm with the mongrel ... it's American, of the "throw all the currently fashionable design details that will fit" era. That was the 1880s and 1890s.

o

I agree, American, walnut, 1880 to 1890....see those square brasses?

o

It's definitely Eastlake. Probably American made, 1880-1890. Probably walnut. Are there any labels or marks inside the drawers or on the back??

o

This is a show-off piece for the people who bought a mansion in the robber baron era and needed to fill it. Pre-income tax, what else to do with your money? It might date back as far as late 1870s--because of the square hardware pulls.

I disagree with Sombreul: it is attractive in its cohesiveness of carving and design. I think it lacks distracting "throw in whatever" items, a problem in lesser pieces.

Any chance it's German American? There were a lot of German skilled woodworkers doing custom pieces for the posh set in that era. Here in Minn. that was common.

There was taste involved in the creation of this piece. Look at the echoing trim on the drawers and the area above the upper cupboard--it is similar to trim on silver pieces. The carved panels have assymetry, but only enough to give interest and keep your eye looking. Believe it or not, there's restraint here!

o

French Renaissance Revival - probably French Walnut with a darker stain - marble added later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here