Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverwalker_gw

Puzzled about Antique Buffet.

Riverwalker
12 years ago

This is located in Georgia. Any idea what era, and maker? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Renaissance revival...I have no idea who made it.
    Linda C

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Looks like "eclectic Grand Rapids" style from about 1895. The piece is heavily influenced in form by Ren Rev, but the shallow carvings and preponderance of turnings is advised by Eastlake style.Had it been a pre-1876 Ren Rev piece, the form would have been more encrusted with more robust carving with more 3D.
    Casey

• texasredhead
    12 years ago

The style tells me it came came from England, especially if it is walnut which it appears to be.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

But the French-y rococo-lozenge-grid panels say otherwise.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I'm seeing more of a mahogany tone than walnut. That could be stain, but I've never seen walnut look reddish.

Sadly, I don't have room for it :-)

Karin L

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

I'm with the mongrel ... it's American, of the "throw all the currently fashionable design details that will fit" era. That was the 1880s and 1890s.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I agree, American, walnut, 1880 to 1890....see those square brasses?

• Denise Evans
    12 years ago

It's definitely Eastlake. Probably American made, 1880-1890. Probably walnut. Are there any labels or marks inside the drawers or on the back??

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

This is a show-off piece for the people who bought a mansion in the robber baron era and needed to fill it. Pre-income tax, what else to do with your money? It might date back as far as late 1870s--because of the square hardware pulls.

I disagree with Sombreul: it is attractive in its cohesiveness of carving and design. I think it lacks distracting "throw in whatever" items, a problem in lesser pieces.

Any chance it's German American? There were a lot of German skilled woodworkers doing custom pieces for the posh set in that era. Here in Minn. that was common.

There was taste involved in the creation of this piece. Look at the echoing trim on the drawers and the area above the upper cupboard--it is similar to trim on silver pieces. The carved panels have assymetry, but only enough to give interest and keep your eye looking. Believe it or not, there's restraint here!

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

French Renaissance Revival - probably French Walnut with a darker stain - marble added later.