Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisafeb8

broken skeleton lock on armoire

lisafeb8
11 years ago

I would appreciate any help on this problem. I have an antique reproduction armoire with an old fashioned skeleton lock and I have the key. Recently, when opening the door with the lock in keyhole, I heard something fall off and now the key will not open the door! Called local locksmith and they said they couldn't do anything with it. I don't think it is possible to take the door off from the side hinges either. This armoire is in my mother's kitchen and has some food items stored in it so it goes without saying that we need to get it open, but I don't want to damage it either. Thought about cutting hole in back of it and reaching in to trip lock. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!

Comments (5)

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

How about a photo so we know what you are describing. You'll get more suggestions if you show the lock detail and hinge detail. If you can move the cabinet away from the wall, also show us the back construction and how it is fastened.

Meanwhile, here are some actions you can do:

Using a flashlight, look into the lock through the keyhole. You may get a clue to its construction. Some of these locks are simple contraptions. Also, look at the key to get an idea of the shape of the internal part it fits. Make sure it was not a piece of the key that fell off.

On many simple cabinet locks, a nub on the key fits into a hole in the internal part and merely pivots this part. If that is the case, you may be able to move the internal lock part with an awl or other suitable tool that will fit through the keyhole.

If the back is a single piece of plywood, you may be able to carefully pry it off. If you are lucky, the back is made of several boards and you will need to remove only one of these boards to gain access through the rear.

If the back is put on using staples, the armoire may be less than 100 yrs old. If the back is put on with square nails, it is old.

We know nothing about its value as an antique, or if it is an antique or valuable collectable. You do not want to do anything that couls ruin the value of an expensive piece, however, if it a common cabinet, then destructive, but repairable measures could be used. For example, if it has glass in the doors, breaking out a glass might be an options. Don't break the glass if it a valuable piece.

Look obliquely at the glass to examine its flatness. The flashlight may help. If the glass is "wavy" (not perfectly flat to the eye), it may be antique glass and you would not want to damage that.

• lisafeb8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. I will go over to Mother's house later and try the flashlight and awl thing. This cabinet is not an old piece. It has no glass and the back appears to be one large piece. Also, the armoire has a white and gold crackle finish so if I damage that, it would be hard to get it back to the original finish. I'll also take a good look at the key and make sure it didn't break off. My deceased sister bought this piece about ten years ago at a high end furniture store. So obviously we are trying to keep it in tact if possible. Maybe I'll post a picture later. Thanks again.

• Katie S
    11 years ago

If the above aDvice doesn't work, Try another locksmith. A good one can help. Not all locksmiths are created equal!

This post was edited by skatiero on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 22:08

• Katie S
    11 years ago

If the above advice doesn't work, Try another locksmith. A good one can help. Not all locksmiths are created equal!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

A friend of mine lost the key to a 17th century breakfront in her move, so I jimmied the glass doors open with a small flat prybar, with her out of the room of course. The lock's bolt only grabbed the strike by 1/16 of an inch, so it didn't have to be pried very far or hard. So in your case if the lock's newer than 400 years it might fit too well to pry, but worth a look.
    Casey