Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Kouba print - any value?

joyce_6333
12 years ago

Is there any way to easily find out the value of a print. A few years ago I puchased this framed print at a garage sale, and I doubt I paid more than $1.00 for it. I had never hung it, and after moving into our new home, I found it in a box and thought I'd hang it. It has an original signature on it, I think it says Kouba. It is framed quite nicely. I was going to take it out of the frame to see if there was anything on the back, but it wouldn't be an easy task. And I didn't want to destroy it. Any ideas about this artist or the worth of this? Sorry for the poor quality of the photo,but it's so hard to get a good picture with the glass. Thanks much.

Comments (33)

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Calliope. I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff.
    I honestly don't know how to tell the difference between a litho or a print. It is signed in pencil, which I thought odd, but there is no "edition" designation.

10 years ago I also purchased a signed and numbered George Kovach lithograph titled "Boys of Summer". I know it's a lithograph because the certificate of authenticity indicates this. I paid $2.00 at Goodwill, and have never been able to find out what it's really worth because every source I find on the internet says it's SOLD OUT. I've never had it framed, kind of forgot about it. But have a perfect place for it in the new house, so I might just take it to the frame shop today.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I picked up a lithograph landscape by an English artist some 25 years back in a local Goodwill as well. I paid two dollars. I bought it for the early 20th century plastered frame, until I went to take a cheap, modern print out of it and found the old litho underneath. It's now hanging in a bedroom. It's modest in value, but can only appreciate as it gets older.

I'm certainly no expert, just an interested novice. And I know just enough about this kind of stuff (since I have a very modest group of originals and limited editions) to know they can vary wildly in value depending on what you really have. I wasn't much help, but am reluctant to suggest it's nothing or something really valuable.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Les Kouba was one of a number of wild life artists who won the competition to have his painting used on a duck stamp. That's a huge feather in any artist's cap, as he then commissions artist approved prints and has the stamp mounted on the mat and they sell for over a thousand in a limited edition of who knows how many prints....all artist signed. Maynard Reese is a local ( sort of) wild life artist here.
    Then it may go to open edition, not signed nor numbered.....and from there to messing with the size and perhaps printing a picture in 8 by 10....or 12 by 18...or 5 by 7.
    The "wild life art" galleries will have such pictures for sale at what seems to me huge prices......when the same picture is available often for lots less on the secondary market....from another gallery or a private seller.
    Because I can't see any edition numbers and because the picture appears to be signed on the print rather than on the mat.....I suspect that it's just a "print"....a photographic reproduction....the sort that are sold for $45 or so at the gallery. For a buck you made out like a bandit! if you like the picture.....and if you don't....the glass is worth more than $1!!

Look at it with a magnifying glass and see if you see a series of small dots, like pixels. That would indicate photographic reproduction.

As a rule...prints are either "original"...like etchings or engravings or lithographs, or they are just photographic repros of an oil or ...watercolor...or of a lithograph or etching.
    Original prints are always worth a little something...photographic repros are usually worth about as much as the framing. In other words a well framed photographic repro can certainly be "worth something".
    Linda c

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Linda. As always, you are wealth of knowledge.

I did take a look at it under a magnifying glass, and there are indeed the small dots as you mentioned. So it's not worth alot, but a nice print anyway.

As I've done more Googling on the artist, I discovered he lived in Hutchison, MN, and my cousin's DH, and a very good friend, are from Hutch. So that's fun to know.

• gab24m3
    12 years ago

Edit

• Lorie Apodaca-Miller
    7 years ago

We have 8 of Les Kouba prints Geese Pheasants and others wondering how I could find out more about how to go about finding their worth and how to sell them. They were dad's and I have no room for them.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

First of all determine if they are original prints or photographic repros....then look on eBay for completed sales and see what they sold for....NOT what sellers are asking but what buyers are paying!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

Here is a link to sold prints on eBay. As Linda said, first determine what they are, by using a magnifying glass as noted above. Sold Les Kouba prints

• Lorie Apodaca-Miller
    7 years ago

Thank you

• jemdandy
    7 years ago

If you don't want it, I'll take it. The depiction of that old mower was so accurate that it brought a flood of memories and a tear or two. We had one much like that one. Ours was made by McCormick Deering.

• sunnyca_gw
    7 years ago

Think you know those are Chinese ring-necked pheasants & setting is very much like South Dakota or MN. I never knew them to go in a building as it kind of looks like the top part of the closest 1 has straw, up high, but they did like to hid under pile of twigs that snow covered part of & they would go inside under twigs for warmth. I'm from So.Dak. Love that pic. I made a small hat from feathers of the male, hat goes just from 1 ear to the other, smaller than the pillbox. I still have it. Made it year JF Kennedy was elected!

• Rob Schutz
    7 years ago

This is not from the original print run. these were smaller non numbered but pencil signed pieces for those who missed out on the original print from 1979.

• Rob Schutz
    7 years ago

If anyone has any questions about Les Kouba prints or values, let me know as I am from his home town and am a very knowledgeable collector.

• ragan1946
    7 years ago

I have this Les Kouba print, I believe is called "Tor"/ Black Labrador with Pheasant. I have found very few images of it on the internet, so very hard to figure a value. It is approximately 20" x 16", and seems to be in the original frame. Which judging by the frame, matting, and framing tag on the back, is from the 80's or before. There is no markings visible other then the signature. Any Ideas?

• lindac92
    7 years ago

As I said above....find out if it's a real artist's print or a photographic repro.
    I saw many images on the internet of this picture....but value depends on authenticity....real artist's print or repro??

• Rob Schutz
    7 years ago

ragan1946, that labrador print was published as a wildlife masterpiece edition and was not signed or numbered. They are actually pretty common and only worth around $25. Nice print though.

• mnluap
    7 years ago

Rob Shutz I have a few print questions i would like to send you of Kouba's. Do you have an Email i could contact? I live in the Brainerd Lakes area also i lived in Hutch for a while.

• Rob Schutz
    7 years ago

mnluap you can email me at koubaman@yahoo.com. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

• Jim
    7 years ago

Hello ragan1946, any interest in selling that Kouba print?

• June Schelde
    4 years ago

I have the original oil painting of Les Kouba's Dark House Spearing. Does anyone have any idea what is is worth. I bought it from personal friends of his in Hutchinson Minnesota.

• lindac92
    4 years ago

If is really is the original oil fort hat print, and signed by him.....it's worth at least a couple of thousand.....

• HU-952735980
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Would anyone know about les koubas a whitetail visits the wildlife sanctuary cant seem to find much info, or what it may be worth

• lindac92
    2 years ago

Is it an original print or a photographic repro?

• Jim
    2 years ago

I really want that Lab print.. "Tor"/ Black Labrador with Pheasant"

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

This thread I find ironic. Recently a very young artist here in Hutchinson MN, Kira Fennell, competed for the duck stamp...she got closer than anticipated...she was a tik tok sensation I read...one of the major news covered it. In the national story she said she has no idea where she got the idea to compete in the DUCK STAMP...gee Kira all school age kids in Hutchinson tour the museum here a few times...where Less Kouba's work is stored/hung/featured. Guess you forgot that!!! Oh and his name appears a few times in town...but I am pretty sure the sanctuary has been renamed.

• Rob Schutz
    2 years ago

This print was done at the Les Kouba Sanctuary at Camp Confidence. It is worth about $80. This is not the Sanctuary in Hutchinson, as we have no large Birch trees.

• Rob Schutz
    2 years ago

June Schelde I believe a guy in the twin cities has the Darkhouse Series Original oil paintings and they are worth tens of thousands. You probably have a Giclee on canvas that is meant to look like an oil painting.

• Jim
    2 years ago

Really, really, and I mean really, want that Kouba print of the Lab/pheasant.. Been trying to locate one for a long time.

• Rob Schutz
    2 years ago

Jim, I have an unframed mint condition one for sale. message me. koubaman@yahoo.com

• Jim
    2 years ago

Hey Rob, sent you an email at the address provided. Thank you!

• Jim
    2 years ago

So, I am finally getting this print I've been wanting for so long. Thanks Rob!

• Rob Schutz
    2 years ago

I am happy for you. Enjoy it!