Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Symbols on bottom of silver candelabra

I bought these candelabra (a pair) at an estate sale. They are only lightly tarnished. Some symbols or trademark stamps on the bottom, but nothing to indicate either silver plate or sterling. (I would expect that if it WAS sterling, though, these estate sale estimators would know, and it would not be sold in this way)

There was nothing else in the house that appeared to be antique (vintage, maybe), at least, not by the time I arrived: so I'm assuming these are not; but I don't know what other forum to post this in. Anyone recognize these symbols? Thanks!

In the square stamp at left is written, "10," with a letter G superscript with a line under it. In the octagonal stamp at right are the Letters "D" and "R" with a chalice or wineglass shape in between. There is some design on the chalice that I can�t make out, even with magnification.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (22)

• mfrog
    12 years ago

GDR usually means "German Democratic Republic" or East Germany, although it's hard to see your mark that well.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The letter G is not together with the D and the R, though.

The G is with the # 10 on one stamp, and the D and R are on the other stamp.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, there have been a lot of silver threads recently!

Does anyone know of a dictionary or something where I could look up my marks?

• lindac
    12 years ago

Not the easiest to read....but pretty comprehensive

Here is a link that might be useful: silver marks

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Linda. I can't open it. I can see the first page, but clicking in the links leads me to an error message. I'll try again later; maybe the website is down? Once I can get in there, I will dig. I'm motivated! :) I have a feeling that I maybe be giving these to one of my kids someday, so I would like to give them as much info as possible!

• lindac
    12 years ago

sorry you can't open it...I have no trouble even going from the link I posted. Hope the situation rights itself.
    Try looking for 925-1000 and see if you can get to the page that way.
    Linda C

Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried google searching it, too. Can't open it that way, either. Must be my browser. I probably need to update it, though I have not encountered before not being able to open a site due to that. I am afraid to update, though. I have so much important work stuff on this computer. A friend, another artist, installed a new Internet Explorer and her whole computer crashed and died. Just backing up is a nightmare: I get confused too easily.

• Fori
    12 years ago

If you're really nervous, just install a different browser like Chrome. It won't mess up your current setup at all.

(The link works for me...it's definitely you! )

Original Author
    12 years ago

Fori, do you mean intall Chrome in addition to leaving my current Internet Explorer installed? That sounds safe. Maybe this weekend....after I ask my husband to help me back up my files!

• Fori
    12 years ago

Yep.

Or Mozilla. I like Mozilla Firefox because I already know how to use the ad blockers, but I'm a slow adapter to new things.

Still, it's always a good idea to back stuff up, or so I hear. :)

On topic, hurry up and figure those out. Very elegant candelabra! I see why you picked them up. Pure class!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Yes, the more I see them, the more I like them. It was funny: I went back to this sale on the second day, because I realized I had forgotten something I had paid for (earrings; they had this deal where they held it at the counter, and the cashier didn't remind me). It wasn't til more than half the stuff at the house was gone, that these stood out enough to see. They sold a dining room table while I was there, and everything that had been piled on top of it, they moved into adjoining rooms. Suddenly I saw these candelabra in the kitchen, which I know must have been on that table, but I had not seen.

They were marked $35 for the pair, which was probably why everyone passed them up. But the sale was ending in an hour, and I offered $25, and they counter offered $28.

It is interesting, but now the two items I'm most glad I didn't let go, are a middle eastern style low brass table, which a friend I was with had to talk me into buying, because it was $60, and these candelabra. Sometimes it is hard to see the value of certain items, in such a context. It's not a place to get too cheap. I think you can get focused so much on getting a good deal, and how cheap some things are, that you forget that the best items, though perhaps priced higher than other things around them, are still really a good deal and worth the higher price, and then some.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Yeah....it's funny...I can get into the "sale mentality"...at an auction where everything is going cheaply. $.50 for this, $2.00 for that....and a lovely something comes up for $20.....and you think...Wow! Expensive!....when it really isn't.
    I also have a friend who has a lovely house.....and is a really good "junker"....she reminds me....take this out of the Dollar Tree and put it on your antique mahogany table and it will look wonderful!!
    I once did table decorations for an elegant party for 150 people from the Dollar store! Plain glass, candles, black river rock, sparkley ribbon, couple of sheets of black poster board and some spray paint...looked like the party store at 5 times the cost!

• Fori
    12 years ago

So I was browsing something else and saw something that reminded me of this...if it's French plate, the marks are rectangles and not diamonds (as they'd be with sterling) and the "10" would indicate thickness (or amount? grams?) of the silver and the other would be the maker. BUT. I could be misinterpreting so I'll have to ask a silver guru to correct that.

• JoAnn-H
    10 years ago

Here are the markings on the bottom.

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

The markings photo needs to be a sharp close-up for anyone to be able to identify them.

• JoAnn-H
    10 years ago

Thanks Colleenoz, here's a close up of those markings.
    Any idea?
    JoAnn-H

• JoAnn-H
    10 years ago

Thanks Colleenoz, here's a close up of those markings.
    Any idea?
    JoAnn-H

{{!gwi}}

• mfrog
    10 years ago

If I can jump in here, I think they may be Goldfeder Silverware Co., although I can't seem to find that exact mark associated with their company. It may take more research. Maybe others will be able to find it. HTH, mfrog

• acwhitley
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi JoAnn-H, Colleenoz, and mfrog. I have the exact same pair of candelabras as shown above by JoAnn. Do you mind sharing any additional information you found out about these? Are they sliver plated or sterling silver? General era? Are they Goldfeder Silverware Co as mfrog suggested? Thanks so much!

Original Author
    8 years ago

I am the OP. Still looking for information on mine, with no success.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

I don't know the marks on your candelabra, nor have I ever seen marks in that "style"...most assuredly they are plate...or entirely a lesser metal. Are the bottoms weighted? What happens when you apply silver polish? Do they unscrew? Can you take them apart? what does the inside of the candle cups look like?