Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Symbols on bottom of silver candelabra

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 0:12

I bought these candelabra (a pair) at an estate sale. They are only lightly tarnished. Some symbols or trademark stamps on the bottom, but nothing to indicate either silver plate or sterling. (I would expect that if it WAS sterling, though, these estate sale estimators would know, and it would not be sold in this way)

There was nothing else in the house that appeared to be antique (vintage, maybe), at least, not by the time I arrived: so I'm assuming these are not; but I don't know what other forum to post this in. Anyone recognize these symbols? Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

In the square stamp at left is written, "10," with a letter G superscript with a line under it. In the octagonal stamp at right are the Letters "D" and "R" with a chalice or wineglass shape in between. There is some design on the chalice that I can�t make out, even with magnification.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Symbols on bottom of silver candelabra

GDR usually means "German Democratic Republic" or East Germany, although it's hard to see your mark that well.

o

The letter G is not together with the D and the R, though.

The G is with the # 10 on one stamp, and the D and R are on the other stamp.

o

Boy, there have been a lot of silver threads recently!

Does anyone know of a dictionary or something where I could look up my marks?

o

Not the easiest to read....but pretty comprehensive

Here is a link that might be useful: silver marks

o

Thanks, Linda. I can't open it. I can see the first page, but clicking in the links leads me to an error message. I'll try again later; maybe the website is down? Once I can get in there, I will dig. I'm motivated! :) I have a feeling that I maybe be giving these to one of my kids someday, so I would like to give them as much info as possible!

o

sorry you can't open it...I have no trouble even going from the link I posted. Hope the situation rights itself.
Try looking for 925-1000 and see if you can get to the page that way.
Linda C

o

I tried google searching it, too. Can't open it that way, either. Must be my browser. I probably need to update it, though I have not encountered before not being able to open a site due to that. I am afraid to update, though. I have so much important work stuff on this computer. A friend, another artist, installed a new Internet Explorer and her whole computer crashed and died. Just backing up is a nightmare: I get confused too easily.

o

If you're really nervous, just install a different browser like Chrome. It won't mess up your current setup at all.

(The link works for me...it's definitely you! )

o

Fori, do you mean intall Chrome in addition to leaving my current Internet Explorer installed? That sounds safe. Maybe this weekend....after I ask my husband to help me back up my files!

o

Yep.

Or Mozilla. I like Mozilla Firefox because I already know how to use the ad blockers, but I'm a slow adapter to new things.

Still, it's always a good idea to back stuff up, or so I hear. :)

On topic, hurry up and figure those out. Very elegant candelabra! I see why you picked them up. Pure class!

o

Thanks! Yes, the more I see them, the more I like them. It was funny: I went back to this sale on the second day, because I realized I had forgotten something I had paid for (earrings; they had this deal where they held it at the counter, and the cashier didn't remind me). It wasn't til more than half the stuff at the house was gone, that these stood out enough to see. They sold a dining room table while I was there, and everything that had been piled on top of it, they moved into adjoining rooms. Suddenly I saw these candelabra in the kitchen, which I know must have been on that table, but I had not seen.

They were marked $35 for the pair, which was probably why everyone passed them up. But the sale was ending in an hour, and I offered $25, and they counter offered $28.

It is interesting, but now the two items I'm most glad I didn't let go, are a middle eastern style low brass table, which a friend I was with had to talk me into buying, because it was $60, and these candelabra. Sometimes it is hard to see the value of certain items, in such a context. It's not a place to get too cheap. I think you can get focused so much on getting a good deal, and how cheap some things are, that you forget that the best items, though perhaps priced higher than other things around them, are still really a good deal and worth the higher price, and then some.

o

Yeah....it's funny...I can get into the "sale mentality"...at an auction where everything is going cheaply. $.50 for this, $2.00 for that....and a lovely something comes up for $20.....and you think...Wow! Expensive!....when it really isn't.
I also have a friend who has a lovely house.....and is a really good "junker"....she reminds me....take this out of the Dollar Tree and put it on your antique mahogany table and it will look wonderful!!
I once did table decorations for an elegant party for 150 people from the Dollar store! Plain glass, candles, black river rock, sparkley ribbon, couple of sheets of black poster board and some spray paint...looked like the party store at 5 times the cost!

o

So I was browsing something else and saw something that reminded me of this...if it's French plate, the marks are rectangles and not diamonds (as they'd be with sterling) and the "10" would indicate thickness (or amount? grams?) of the silver and the other would be the maker. BUT. I could be misinterpreting so I'll have to ask a silver guru to correct that.

o

Trying to determine if the candelabra is silver?
I believe it's about 80yr old

Markings in bottom- 3 prong crown then G S C or G 8 C
I have a photo of the markings too.
JoAnn- H

o
Silver candelabra markings

Here are the markings on the bottom.

o

The markings photo needs to be a sharp close-up for anyone to be able to identify them.

o

Thanks Colleenoz, here's a close up of those markings.
Any idea?
JoAnn-H

o
RE: Closeup of Markings of silver candelabra

Thanks Colleenoz, here's a close up of those markings.
Any idea?
JoAnn-H

o

If I can jump in here, I think they may be Goldfeder Silverware Co., although I can't seem to find that exact mark associated with their company. It may take more research. Maybe others will be able to find it. HTH, mfrog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here