Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to remove brass corrosion

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 0:12

I bought 3 brass cachepots at an estate sale. The style looks middle eastern to me, with a lot of detailed stamping and repousse. There is corrosion on the bottom half that looks like small spots of rust. I know brass can't rust: it just looks like rust. I'm used to corrosion on brass looking black or greenish.

I've used Brasso before, and Penny Bright, but are these the best products to use?

Also: they have been polished before, and there is a lot of white residue trapped in the detailing, especially in the cross-hatched areas. I have a huge old tray in the basement (for the last 20 years) with embedded white stuff I have never been able to get out. I'd need a needle and a few months to get it out of all the engraved lines. What I think I remember about using Brasso before (admittedly it�s been a while), was finding it very hard to get out of incised details. How would I get this out? THanks!

See the red spots?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to remove brass corrosion

A lot of the problems with corrosion is that it actually eats the metal....pits it....and then there is nothing you can do but clean it up to prevent any further pitting. Brasso and elbow grease....lots of both!
As for the white stuff....try vinegar and a good stiff brush....a toothbrush works well for me.

Good luck....it's a nice pot.

o

Should I soak it in vinegar, do you think? It is pretty big, but I could lay it on its side in a dishpan, and do a section at a time. Or soak paper towels in it and press them in. The vinegar might help the tarnish, too. Thanks!

o

I would do the paper towel thing.....and if the white stuff doesn't yield in a few minutes, I might cover the paper towel with saran and leave it for several hours.
But action with a tooth brush will help!

I have no idea about your candleabra....so I won't post and will leave the post at the top of the page. Hoping Antiquesilver sees it.
Linda c

o

Sorry, but I don't recognize the marks on the candleabra, either.

To remove polish that's clogged a design, I scrub using a wet toothbrush dipped in mild dish detergent. Rinse & repeat if necessary. This works with silver polish - don't know about other metal cleaners - but it shouldn't hurt the brass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here