There are times when someone would like to privately email a GW member - maybe they would like that person to check out their thread or maybe they have a question specific to that person's kitchen. In any case, the ability to privately email a GW member does exist.
Emailing Members Etiquette
There is "etiquette" involved in emailing others. If you email someone privately, it's common courtesy to be willing to reveal your email address to that person - especially if you want a reply. Anonymous emails are discouraged, even if you don't expect a reply.
Another point, which shouldn't have to be mentioned but does: Be polite and don't "bully". Don't email someone to tell them you don't like something they said/did/etc. Many people find it easy to criticize/blast others b/c they are, for all intents and purposes, anonymous. Let's all adhere to the mantra: "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything".
Lastly, please be aware of what we all agreed to when we signed up for GW: This form is not to be used for advertising or promotion.
(This includes links to your own commercial sites in a signature) .
So, how do you email a GW member?
- First, be sure you have email turned on for your account:
- In the upper right corner of most GW pages, you will find a "Your Profile" link - select it.
- Scroll down to the greenish-yellowish shaded area at the bottom with all the checkboxes.
- Select "Members" from the dropdown box labeled "Show my email address to:" (As of September 2013, this does not appear to affect what is displayed in the "Posted by" line)
- Check the box next to "Allow other users to send you email from your profile page or if you wish to receive message reply notifications."
- Now, select the "Save Your Member Profile" button below the shaded area.
- You're done! You can now receive replies to your private emails.
- Note: If you don't want your email address showing up in general, then set the "Show my email address to" option to "Members" just before you send your private email and set it back to "None" after you've sent your private email.
- Next, you need to get to someone's "member page". There are several ways to do this:
- Option 1: Find a message the person has posted and open their page by selecting the "My Page" link next to their member's name in a message. For example:
Posted by buehl (My Page) on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 22:27
Note the "(My Page)" next to the member's name (in this case, "buehl").
- Option 2: Use the URL below. Replace "< Name >" with the person's GW username:
http://www.gardenweb.com/auth/nph-logincheck.cgi?action=public_profile&user=< Name >
In the case of member "buehl":
- Option 3: Use GW's "Member Pages" page. From the navigation bar along the top of most pages:
- Hover over the "Tools & Resources" option. A dropdown menu will appear.
- From the dropdown menu, select: Member pages
- Select the "Search for Members" link
- Enter the member's user name in the "Names beginning with" box
- Optionally, use one of the other search criteria as well
- Select the "Search" button
- In all cases, it will bring up that person's member page and, if that person is willing to allow others to email them, it will include a link that says "Send me an email".
- Select the "Send me an email" link.
- On the next page, enter:
- The Subject of your email - make it descriptive and informative
- Your message
- Optionally, check the box to "Send a copy of this to my email address" (This sends a copy of the email to your email address.)
- Select the "Submit your message" button
- The email will be sent.
Entered by buehl
That Home Site! Home Page | Forums | Forum