washing a down duvet

bobbi1023August 4, 2010

I have a Miele washing machine and desire to wash my queen size down duvet. What cycle should I use? What water temperature and final spin speed?

Once in the dryer, can I use the medium heat setting or do I need to keep it on low?

Is there any particular detergent I should be using to keep the down in good shape?

Are there any other considerations I have overlooked?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

I don't have a Miele, so I can't speak to specific cycles. However, I have washed a lot of down in my Bosch. I use the delicates cycle. Most important is your choice of detergent - absolutely NO enzymes, optical brighteners or bleaches (chlorine or non) as they will damage your down. I use Charlie's soap, but sport wash or wool wash should work.

When you dry it, no or very low heat. Air fluff is ideal. It will take a long time. I alternate between hanging and fluffing in the dryer.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 11:52AM
oregpsnow

You can damage large down comforters washing them in a small washer, so please be careful. They are really better washed in a large commercial washer and dried in a big dryer where they can tumble and get fluffy. alice is correct - it takes a long time to dry them - like days, not hours, if you are doing it in a home dryer. I keep a duvet (cover) over my comforter so it rarely needs to be washed - maybe every two years.

Good luck with your comforter.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 2:37PM
oasisowner

It helps to throw a small pair of clean tennis shoes (we use old toddler shoes) in the dryer with down comforters or parkas. Helps fluff the down and cuts down on the drying time - but it still takes 3-4 cycles on low heat.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
Magtag TL leaving white film on clothes
My Maytag has a selfcleaning filter, and I've had it...
sweeterthanhoney
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™