Should I use 50/50 or 60/40 Lead?

KimmyStarJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by: Calamity_J Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 1:16

I heard that you use 50/50 for leaded glass and 60/40 for foiled.

Posted by: stxmona Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 6:24

I think 60/40 is easier to work with and it gives you stronger solder line. Since it does melt at a lower heat...it will melt through sometimes so you have to be careful. The patina seems like 60/40 better too. 50/50 requires more heat and will sometimes gives you a nicer edge. In the beginning I was trying to use only lead free, yikes that was hard to work with and it definitely DID NOT like patina. So it is definitely a personal decision...but I like 60/40 the best!! Toomuchglass Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 12:38 Helpful hint ---- Use 50/50 for your first "tinning" layer on foil seams because it melts at a higher temp than 60/40. Then bead your seams with 60/40 .... which takes less heat - this stops melt-throughs. Been doing it this way for years and it really works !!!

mimi856 Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 13:06

and your heat setting should be at? See, I am having troubles and cant quite figure out what it is. I dont seem to get a "flow" going.

Toomuchglass Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 17:07

I use a rheostat because I bounce back and forth between lead wrapping and foil ... running a bead with foiling - should be full heat. Once you get it going - play with it .... (on a practice piece of course !)

catriona_FL Sun, Jan 2, 05 at 23:59

I use 60/40 on lead and foil. If you can't get a flow going you may have the rheostat set too low. Or it could be the iron you are using. I use a hakko 456 and set the rheostat at about 7/1/2 to 8. for foil and about 6/1/2 for leadwork

littlechloe Mon, Jan 3, 05 at 11:06

Re: flow - I agree it might be your iron. Do you have a decent one? I had a cheap one and it made doing anything extremely difficult. Unfortunately, there are some tools you can't scrimp on. If yours is a good one however, then ignore me.

Toomuchglass Mon, Jan 3, 05 at 19:23

I learned all rheostats aren't alike - I have a Hakko iron .... and for lead wrapping - I keep it at #7. Foiling - I keep it all the way up - #10.

Yvonne Other than an on special, bulk or wholesale buy, it runs the middle ground, silver back and brass are generally higher. Clear adhesive back, 7/32 is usually the best priced and most commonly used.

More Discussions
What do you use to wrap the outside of stained glass windows with?
Posted by mimi856 Sat, Jan 1, 05 at 22:58 So, I wrap...
KimmyStar
Ohiomom's Peacock Stool
Image by: Ohiomom Stages of Development I 'curb-shopped'...
KimmyStar
Glossary of Terms Used on this Forum
BRB - Be Right Back BIL - Brother In Law BTW - By the...
KimmyStar
What tools do I use for breaking up tiles?
Nipping Basics - Offset Tile Nippers Tile nippers...
KimmyStar
What are some of the safety issues that I should be concerned with?
ALWAYS, always wear safety goggles when cutting, nipping...
KimmyStar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™