Laundry Room Forum acronyms and jargon

hardwarehackJanuary 1, 2013

In an attempt to alleviate the sense of bewilderment often expressed by newcomers to this rather technical and in-depth Forum, the following FAQ article provides definitions for some of the terms and abbreviations employed in the discussion threads hereabouts.

This list will probably always be a "work in progress", as the laundromania meme continues to evolve and ever more-inclusive reference works are needed to truly understand the denizens of this site. :)

If there is a particular term or piece of information anyone would like to see included in this mini-dictionary, please let me know!

--Tom.

------------------------------

First, to help bring true computer neophytes up to speed with these types of online discussion boards, here are some of the more commonly-seen acronyms, not specific to the Laundry Room Forum, which have been used on many online message sites and chat rooms for years (predating the Web itself):

AFAIK - As Far As I Know

BIL - Brother-In-Law

BTW - By The Way

DD - Dear Daughter (Also, in the Appliances Forum, used as an abbreviation for "Dish Drawer", a type of dishwasher manufactured by F&P.)

DH - Dear Husband

DIL - Daughter-In-Law

DP - Dear Partner

DS - Dear Son

DW - Dear Wife (Also, in the Appliances Forum, used as an abbreviation for "Dishwasher". It is highly recommended that husbands not use the two meanings interchangeably, LOL!)

FAQ - Frequently Asked/Answered Questions

FIL - Father-In-Law

FWIW - For What It's Worth

IIRC - If I Recall/Remember Correctly

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

IMO - In My Opinion

IRL - In Real Life (i.e. not via a computer/online connection or search)

ISO - In Search Of

JMHO - Just My Humble Opinion

JMO - Just My Opinion

LOL - Laughing Out Loud

OT - Original Topic, or conversely, Off Topic

OTOH - On The Other Hand

ROFL or ROTFL - Rolling on (the) Floor Laughing

SIL - Sister-In-Law

SO - Significant Other

SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed (see "DW")

TIA - Thanks In Advance

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary (i.e. this was my experience, but you might get different results)

------------------------------

And here are some of the acronyms, abbreviations, and unusual or otherwise unfamiliar nomenclature seen in the Laundry Room Forum proper:

AEG - Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft. German manufacturer of frontloading washers. AEG washers are of very high quality (a close second to Miele) and tend to have similarly high prices in North America. As of this writing (January 2005), not sold directly in the USA, but can be ordered from Canada.

Asko - Swedish manufacturer of quality frontloading washers.

Bosch - German manufacturer of quality frontloading washers. As of this writing (January 2005), Bosch offers two series of frontloading washers, the smaller "Axxis" machines which run on 240V power, and the larger "Nexxt" machines which run on 120V power.

Combo washer/dryer or Combo WD or Combo - A single machine which can both wash and dry...

More Discussions
What is 'HE' laundry detergent?
"HE" stands for "High Efficiency". This...
hardwarehack
Overview of frontload clothes washers
[Information first posted in the Appliances Forum by...
hardwarehack
Laundry Forum FAQ Intro
Well, after much discussion, debate, and numerous proposals...
hardwarehack
Laundry Forum FAQ test
This is the first test of the new Laundry Forum FAQ...
hardwarehack
Physical and chemical properties of selected laundry detergents
[Information first posted in the Appliances Forum by...
hardwarehack
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™