New To Kitchens? Read Me First!

buehlJanuary 1, 2013

Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you may find the following information and links helpful. The FAQs will help you navigate the world of kitchen remodeling and, in the process, introduce you to ideas that you may not have thought of or seriously considered. We will begin by helping you come up with a "Mission Statement" or "Goal" for your future kitchen and continue through the planning, implementation, and, finally, the unveiling of your final kitchen and the enjoyment of working in a kitchen that you helped come to pass!

• The FAQ articles on Kitchens contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but there is also a category list if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets. Access the FKB Categories Page via a link in the navigation panel on the right of any FKB page. Additionally, there is also a link to "In-Progress Kitchens" for those members' kitchens that are not quite ready for the FKB. There is also a link to "Coming Soon Kitchens" for those kitchens that are ready for the FKB but have not yet been added. To access the "In-Progress Kitchens", the "Coming Soon Kitchens", and the "FKB Categories", see the links in the navigation panel that is on the right side of each main FKB page. The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances. The FAQs include, but are not limited to, such topics as how to ask for help with a layout, how to plan for storage, etc. Even more information can be found by doing a search on the forum. To start off the kitchen remodel process itself, take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan. (These two link are located on the Finished Kitchens Blog.)

. . .

But first, let's start with the basics for navigating the Kitchens Forum.

. .

Tips:

• Before posting a question, please search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top! Note, however, that you will probably have better luck searching if you use Google (or a similar search engine) than if you use the Forum search function. When using Google, to limit your results to Garden Web, include the following in your search criteria: "site:ths.gardenweb.com" In the Subject, the site changes the double quote used as the inches indicator (") to a single quote ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single quotes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box. When composing a new thread, you have several options:

• Insert an image: upload an image in the "Image file to upload" box by browsing to the...
More Discussions
How do I plan for storage? Types of Storage? What to Store Where?
Once you've finalized your basic design, it's time...
buehl
How do I post pictures?
This FAQ will describe how to post pictures from a...
buehl
Other Items of Interest
Pantries! Planning a pantry? Check out the gallery...
buehl
How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?
Preface/A Piece of Advice: When you post a layout for...
buehl
How do I post a Link?
INSTRUCTIONS FOR POSTING LINKS: Most people will see...
buehl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™