Cookalong - #48 Onions

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Cookalong #48 ------- ONIONS

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:46

Time for a new Cookalong subject. Teresa_nc7 has picked Onions for this Cookalong.

The onions can any type of fresh onions (not dried or powdered) including sweet onions like Vidalia/Walla Walla/Texas sweets, pearl onions, scallions or green onions, chives, red onions, yellow and white cooking onions.

Onions don't have to be the main ingredient in the recipe but should play a strong supporting role at least.

I can't wait to see what all our good cooks come up with, Vadalia onions just started showing up at the grocery stores around here.

As always, T+T recipes only.

This Cookalong will run through June 3 2012.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #47 ----- Rice Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #48 ------- ONIONS clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:55

Onions - another great choice.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Roasted Parmesan-Creamed Onions ===============================

Rick Tramonto - Osteria Cookbook

Talk about succulent! The yellow onions are pretty pungent when you slice them, but surrender their kick when they are roasted and become sweet and tender. When they reach this point, the cream sauce is poured over them, they are topped with shaved cheese, and then the whole thing is returned to the oven for a slow melt. I like to cook these in a wood oven to get some smoke on them, which makes them even better-if that's possible. Great with chicken, lamb, beef-you name it! I also like it served as a first course.

Serves 4

4 medium yellow onions 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 cup heavy cream 1/4 cup dry white wine 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved (about 2 tablespoons)

1 Preheat the oven to 350�F.

2 slices the onions into 1/4-inch-thick rings and lay them in a shallow baking pan, such as a sheet pan or jelly roll pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned.

3 Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the cream and wine to a simmer over medium-high heat. As soon as the liquid starts to bubble around the edges, remove from the heat.

4 Spoon about a tablespoon of the cream mixture over each onion slice. Cover with aluminum foil, return to the oven, and cook for about 25 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450�F.

5 Remove the foil and top the onions with the shaved cheese. Return the pan to the oven and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the edges caramelize. Serve hot.

o RE: Cookalong #48 ------- ONIONS clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on Mon, May 21, 12 at 18:41

Nancy, I'm so "honored" you chose my name from the hat! LOL!

Two...

More Discussions
High Heat Roasting - Chicken/Turkey
Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table Simple...
Member Pages
Food Photo Tips: Part 7 - Macro & Camera Icons
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Aug 19, 09 at...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 4 - Seamless Backgrounds
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 29, 09 at...
ann_t
Cookalong #4 - Basil
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 8:27 Compumom...
ann_t
Cookalong #5 - Lemon
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Mar 16, 09 at...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™