Cookalong - 43 Cabbage

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Cookalong #43 ------ CABBAGE!

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 18:08

As Annie wrote on choosing cabbage.....

"Cooked, raw, in cole slaw, with corned beef for St. Patrick's Day, baked, sautéed, cabbage soup, stuffed cabbage, you name it. Ready? Set? Discuss."

Everyone is encouraged to share their T+T recipes...I'm just sure some are holding out! There are a couple of recipes I'm on the watch for, they've been posted before but I lost them and they were winners for me..

This Cookalong will run until March 26, 2012.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong # 42 -------- PORK Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #43 ------ CABBAGE!

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by grainlady (My Page) on Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 20:13

Cabbage, the long distance food. You cook it for a day, smell it for a mile, and burp it for a week.... :-)

Colcannon

A traditional Irish dish consisting of cabbage (or kale) and potatoes is a traditional Halloween dish, but it goes well with corned beef. It's also something different to make with some leftover mashed potatoes.

Traditional Fried Colcannon

1 bowl of mashed potatoes 1 bowl cooked cabbage or curly kale, chopped 1 onion 2 T. drippings per pound vegetables Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste Milk if necessary

Combine the mashed potatoes and cabbage or kale. Mix well. Peel and chop the onion. Melt a little of the drippings in a large, heavy frying pan or griddle and cook the onion in it. Remove and mix with the potato and cabbage. Season to taste, and stir in a little milk if the mixture is too stiff. Add the rest of the drippings to the hot pan and when very hot, turn the potato and cabbage into the pan and spread out. Fry until golden, then roughly cut it and continue frying until there are lots of crisp brown pieces. Just before serving, slip in the wrapped ring.

---------------------------------

My favorite Colcannon recipe:

1 pound all-purpose potatoes, peeled 1 pound green cabbage, shredded (4 cups) 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup) (I generally use 1/2 c.) 1/4 c. skim or low-fat milk 1 T. butter or margarine 3 oz. sharp Cheddar (or other hard cheese), coarsely grated, divided Freshly ground black pepper to taste Salt, if desired, to taste (I never need more salt.)

1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until they are tender but not mushy. Drain them, RESERVING the cooking liquid, and set them aside to cool somewhat.

2. Using the potato water (you may need to add more water and bring it back to a boil), boil the cabbage and onion for about 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables and set them aside.

3. Place potatoes in a bowl, add the milk and butter and mash until they are smooth.

4. Add the reserved boiled cabbage and onion to the potato mixture.

5. Mix two-thirds of the cheese with the potato mixture. Season the colcannon with pepper and salt, if desired, and transfer it...

More Discussions
Cookalong - #26 - Peanut Butter
Cookalong #26---------Peanut Butter!!! clip this post...
ann_t
Cookalong - #39 - Citrus
Cookalong #39 ------- CITRUS clip this post email this...
ann_t
Cookalong - #47 Rice
Cookalong #47 ------- RICE Posted by wizardnm (My Page)...
ann_t
Cookalong - #48 Onions
Cookalong #48 ------- ONIONS Posted by wizardnm (My...
ann_t
Cookalong - #36 - Honey
Cookalong #36 ------ HONEY clip this post email this...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™