Cookalong - #22 Eggplant

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

iVillage GardenWeb iVillage GardenWeb THE INTERNET'S GARDEN & HOME COMMUNITY ADVERTISEMENT Blogs Forums Photo Galleries Ask The Experts Tools & Directories SEARCH Return to the Cooking Forum : Post a Follow-Up o Cookalong #22 ------ EGGPLANT clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 15:53

Lorijean44 has chosen Eggplant for this Cookalong.

Guess we are on a real veggie kick!

I don't do eggplant, so maybe there will be a recipe that will tempt me to try it.

Please check this thread after March 6th if you have posted....you maybe the one to pick the next subject.

Now, let's dig out those wonderful eggplant recipes!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Cookalong # 21---Beans Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #22 ------ EGGPLANT clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 15:59

Cold Spiced Eggplant - Craig Claiborne & Virginia Lee

2 medium young eggplants (about 1.75 lbs total, Japanese work well)

3 Tbsp light soy sauce 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar 2 Tbsp sugar 2.5 tsp dry sherry or shao hsing wine 1 Tbsp sesame oil

1 Tbsp oil 1 Tbsp minced garlic 1 Tbsp chopped ginger 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds

1. Steam eggplant for about 30 minutes, or until tender to the core. Let cool.

2. Combine Soy sauce through sesame oil.

3. Over a high flame, heat the tablespoon of oil in a saucepan and add the garlic and ginger. Cook about ten seconds, then stir in the soy sauce mixture. Bring to just a boil and remove from heat. Let cool.

4. Cut or pull the cool eggplant into shreds. Pour the sauce over, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve - better the next day.

o RE: Cookalong #22 ------ EGGPLANT clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 16:04

Oh yeah, I love eggplant. This is one of my favorite snacks, from Eating Well, and it's low enough in fat and calories to go on the Slimmer Dinners thread. Elery will grill the eggplant if he's here, otherwise I just slice it and roast it and the garlic in the oven on baking sheets.

Baba Ganouj

2 medium eggplants, (about 1 pound each) 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled 1/4 cup lemon juice 2 tablespoons tahini, (see Note) 1 1/4 teaspoons salt Extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish Ground sumac, for garnish (see Note)

Preheat grill to high.

Prick eggplants all over with a fork. Thread garlic cloves onto a skewer. Grill the eggplants, turning occasionally, until charred and tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Grill the garlic, turning once, until charred and tender, 6 to 8 minutes.

Transfer the eggplants and garlic to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, peel both. Transfer to a food processor. Add lemon juice, tahini and salt; process until almost smooth. Drizzle...

More Discussions
FOOD PHOTO TIPS: Part 2 - Lighting & White Balance
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 15, 09 at...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 5 - Artificial Lighting
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Aug 5, 09 at...
ann_t
Forum Recipes
Archive for Frequently Asked For Recipes. I'll be happy...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 10 Self-timer, Flash & Silverware
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Sun, Sep 20, 09 at...
ann_t
Cookalong #1 - Ginger
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 8:33 Posted...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™