Cookalong #30 - Tomatoes

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Cookalong #30 ---------- TOMATOES!!!!!

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 11:12

Sally2 has picked Tomatoes for this cookalong. Some are already enjoying the fresh local crop and some are eagerly awaiting this favorite.

Recipes can include any form or use.

Please post some of you T+T canning recipes for tomatoes too, it will be nice to have them tucked away in the FAQ for safe keeping and easy reference.

I think this will be a very popular Cookalong, so due to the late start, let's run with it thru July 10, 2010.

Have fun!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #29 ------ Corn!

Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #30 ---------- TOMATOES!!!!!

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by dukerdawg (My Page) on Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 12:00

Nancy, Sally has a winner here! Now you're talking my language. I can't wait for homegrown tomatoes. I've eaten 2 already, but those were from plants started in January and nurtured along in the GH. My other 60 plants are way ahead of schedule. Should have some good beefsteaks by the 4th of July (fingers crossed!) My favorite way to eat tomatoes doesn't reguire a recipe. Sliced and eaten with a sprinkling of salt, the classic BLT done anyway you like it and sliced on the side with good ole' Kraft Mac 'n Cheese!

...however..I will be following this thread closely and drooling at appropriate moments.

(p.s. give Roxie a belly rub from us!)

Duane

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 12:30

Yeah!!! Planted a bunch!!

When they ripen I tend to eat as many as I can just as is!!....then when it gets burdensome...I blanch peel and cook up with some celery and onion and a bit of basil and freeze. Or I might cook them down more and add garlic oregano and a bit of red wine and call it the basis for a spaghetti sauce.

I can't wait!!

Linda C

Posted by chase (My Page) on Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 12:57

Nothing like fresh field tomatoes ! YUM!

I'll offer up this canning recipe because it is something you don't seem to see in the States. This is NOT to be confused with Heinz Chili Sauce they are in no may similar.

I got this recipe from a farmer friend's mother over 30 years ago and I have made it every year since. Same lady that taught me to make canned tomatoes and dill pickles.

This stuff is great in a meatloaf, along side eggs cooked any way, topped on a burger or dog, dumped into baked beans, with Tourtiere or any pork dish. Clive slathers it on freshly baked, buttered, French bread!

Elaine's Chile Sauce

11 Q basket of field...

More Discussions
Cookalong - #45 Chili
Cookalong #45---------CHILI!! Posted by wizardnm (My...
ann_t
Cookalong - #44 Lamb
Cookalong #44 --------LAMB Posted by wizardnm (My Page)...
ann_t
Cooking Forum Dictionary
EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil POOF - Pulled out of...
ann_t
Cookalong - #26 - Peanut Butter
Cookalong #26---------Peanut Butter!!! clip this post...
ann_t
Cookalong - #38 - Dates
Cookalong #38 --- Dates clip this post email this post...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™