Cookalong #20 - Broccoli

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Cookalong #20--------Broccoli clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 9:05

Caliloo (Alexa) has chosen BROCCOLI for this ingredient focus. Thanks Alexa, this is one of my favorites!

Between now and Feb 6, I hope we can all find some goodies using broccoli. Soups, salads, casseroles.... I wonder what the weirdest (but good) use might be?

Note to everyone... please participate. This is a way to group forum favorite recipes together for future use. Adding a recipe that you like and have made is all that is necessary. Pictures are welcome but not required. I draw a name from those who participate and then you get to decide on the next focus. So be sure to check back at the end of the two week period. I'll draw the next name on February 7,2010 from the participants on this thread. It's fun to pick a favorite ingredient and collect the recipes.

We are purposely avoiding meat, poultry and fish so that more can play.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #19------SPINACH Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #20--------Broccoli clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by susytwo (My Page) on Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 9:50

We like this one from one of the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks.

Raw Broccoli Salad

1 large head of broccoli 1/2 cup mayo 2 tsp maple syrup 4 tsp cider vinegar 1/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper 1/4 cup currants or raisins 1 medium tomato, diced

Finally chop the florets from the broccoli and smaller stems. It should make about 4 cups of chopped broccoli.

In a serving bowl, whisk together mayo, syrup, salt and pepper. Stir in broccoli, currants and tomatoes. Set aside for at least 30 minutes, but best when allowed to sit for a day in the refrigerator.

o RE: Cookalong #20--------Broccoli clip this post email this post what is this?

* Posted by sherrmann (My Page) on Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 10:05

Stir Fried Broccoli

Florets cut small but intact, with a bit of stem remaining Butter OR EVOO Salt

Heat the butter or EVOO in a large saute pan, add the broccoli, toss to coat, just a few minutes. Toss a couple times until brocolli is crisp tender, sprinkle with salt.

I never parboil the brocolli. Though I use evoo for almost everything, we prefer butter for this one. It is just perfect as a side dish sauteed like this...one of our favorite veggies, goes with everything.

Sherry

* Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 10:11

Wow, looking through my T&T file I just realized that it's obvious I am not very adventurous when it comes to broccoli! LOL

Other than using in stir-fry, I only have two recipes that use broccoli, and I haven't made either of them in...

More Discussions
Cookalong - #47 Rice
Cookalong #47 ------- RICE Posted by wizardnm (My Page)...
ann_t
Cookalong - #27 - Pineapple
Cookalong #27 ----PINEAPPLE !!!!!! clip this post email...
ann_t
Cookalong - #48 Onions
Cookalong #48 ------- ONIONS Posted by wizardnm (My...
ann_t
Cookalong - #24 Pasta
Cookalong #24 ----------PASTA!!!!!!! clip this post...
ann_t
Cookalong - 43 Cabbage
Cookalong #43 ------ CABBAGE! Posted by wizardnm (My...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™