Cookalong #21- Beans

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Cookalong #21-----BEANS

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 22:26

This subject is wide open for interpretation...

.........BEANS.........

green beans, navy beans, red beans, yellow beans, black beans, white beans...did you ever think about how many colors beans come in? No wonder there's a recipe called Calico beans.... :)

Thank you Kathleenca...fun choice!

Beans, beans, the musical fruit......(I'll stop there)

Add recipes now thru Feb 20.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #20---Broccoli Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #21-----BEANS clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 22:34

Don't forget ceci/garbanzo/chick pea!

All the earlier Cookalong threads are linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: All the other Cookalong Links o RE: Cookalong #21-----BEANS clip this post email this post what is this?

* Posted by lorijean44 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 22:42

I made a traditional hummus, cooking dried chickpeas. Much easier than I expected!

Traditional Hummus

Cover 1 cup dried chickpeas with water and soak overnight. Drain and place in a sauce pan with 1/2 teaspoon salt and water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and reserve the water.

Place the chickpeas in a food processor with the juice of 2 lemons, 3 minced garlic cloves, and 2 or 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Process until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 cup tahini, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, and salt & pepper. Process. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. (I first drizzled some good olive oil over the top before sprinkling with the parsley.) Serve with toasted pita. You can substitute one 16-ounce can of chickpeas for the dried.

Yield: about 1-1/2 cups.

Source: Memories of a Lost Egypt - A Memoir with Recipes, copyright 1999

Lori

o RE: Cookalong #21-----BEANS clip this post email this post what is this?

* Posted by pat_t (My Page) on Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 22:53

Lori! You're killing me! I want some!

My niece suggested that I cook some red beans & rice for dinner on Wed. and then proceeded to invite herself over for dinner.

I guess you know we'll be having cornbread too.

RED BEANS AND RICE

1 lb. dry red beans 6 cups cold water 6 cups hot water 1 lb. meaty ham bone or smoked ham hocks 1 large onion 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 bay leaf 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper 1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces Hot cooked rice Sliced green onions

Rinse beans. Soak overnight in covered pan. Drain and rinse beans. In Dutch oven combine the beans, water, ham bone, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender,...

More Discussions
Food Photo Tips: Part 9 - Setting Up a Tripod
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Sat, Sep 5, 09 at...
ann_t
Cookalong #4 - Basil
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 8:27 Compumom...
ann_t
Tricia's Bread Tutorial - Removed
Removed as per Tricia's request
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part I - Lighting
I can only post the instructions not the photos. Posted...
ann_t
Cookalong #14 - Squash
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Thu, Oct 29, 09 at...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™