Cookalong #12 - Corn

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Jun 22, 09 at 22:51

Caliloo (Alexa) has picked the next *STAR* ingredient...

CORN!!!!

No argument from me, it's a favorite.

Since we are not doing the virtual dinner at the end, post any pictures anytime, when you make something.

So let's dig out those corn recipes!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #11 --- EGGS Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #12 --- CORN clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 8:17

Almost in season - can't wait!

* Posted by caliloo (My Page) on Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 9:12

I'm going to start with one of my favorites!

Fried Corn

2 cups fresh cut corn kernels 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (sweet) 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (Vidalia) 2 Tbs. butter 1-2 jalapeno or Serano peppers, chopped (hot -- peppers are optional) 1-2 tsp. sugar salt & pepper to taste

Directions In a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat.

Add corn and all chopped peppers and onions and sauté until blended and coated with butter. Add sugar, salt and pepper, to taste. Continue to sauté until you notice the corn turning more yellow. About 10 minutes.

* Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 9:47

I just read this article and thought it would be good for our topic... I know that a few have mentioned that they enjoy raw corn.

Corn on the cob -- it's not just for cooking By MICHELE KAYAL The Associated Press Updated: 06/22/2009 09:11:58 AM EDT

Husk that corn! And leave it at that.

We love our summer corn grilled, boiled, steamed and slathered, but raw corn -- that's right, no cooking -- is nature's candy.

We think of corn as a vegetable, but it's also a grain or a seed that's picked before maturity, says University of Florida horticulture professor Stephen Olson. And like other seeds that we eat raw -- think sugar snap peas with their crunchy pods and delicate fleshy globes -- raw corn bursts with succulence.

Most vegetables are cooked to make them tender. But since raw corn is an immature seed, the kernels' outer covering is still baby soft. Cooking will actually solidify the starches and make the kernels firm. "It's more tender raw than cooked," Olson says.

Chomping into a fresh ear of corn will reward you with a mouthful of sugary bursts. But dressier presentations may be better suited for guests and can highlight the corn's sweetness.

Nick Ritchie, chef de cuisine at Napa Valley's trendy Bottega restaurant, strips the kernels and tosses them into a salad with peppery arugula. But to extract their maximum essence, Ritchie juices the raw kernels and creates a chilled soup to accompany crispy...

More Discussions
Food Photo Tips: Part 6 - Making a Mini Light Box
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Aug 12, 09 at...
ann_t
FOOD PHOTO TIPS: Part 2 - Lighting & White Balance
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 15, 09 at...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 4 - Seamless Backgrounds
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 29, 09 at...
ann_t
Cookalong #3 - Carrots
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Feb 16, 09 at...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part I - Lighting
I can only post the instructions not the photos. Posted...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™