Cookalong #10 - Onions

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, May 25, 09 at 21:00

Our next *star* ingredient is ...... ONIONS!

Picked by Canarybird (Sharon) this is going to be fun. Onions are in so much as a supporting ingredient, sometimes we forget they can also be a star.

Over the next two weeks, I'll bet we all find some new things to do with onions. So post away!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong --#9-- Rice Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #10 ----- ONIONS!!!

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Tue, May 26, 09 at 5:35

Okay I guess I shouldn't have posted this at the bottom of the other thread (sorry) so here it is again:

I'll start the ball rolling with this delicious Leek and Onion Quiche.

LEEK & ONION QUICHE

Ingredients:

1 slice of streaky bacon finely chopped (I used 3 slices ) 400 grams (14 oz) onions halved and sliced (approx 2 large onions) 200 grams (7 oz) leeks sliced in circles 150 grams (1 cup) plain flour 1 TBS baking powder 3 TBS vegetable oil 2 TBS milk 3 TBS plain yoghurt (without sugar) (I used quark) 60 grams (3 rounded TBS) cottage cheese or cream cheese (I used cottage) 1 egg salt & pepper water

1 pyrex pie plate... measuring 19 cm (7.5 inches) across bottom ..... if it has sloping sides, top rim to rim 24.5 cm (9.3/4 inches)

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 180 - 190° C (approx 365° F)

1. Put the flour and the baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir.

Leave a well in the middle and add the cheese, one tablespoon of oil, one tablespoon of milk and a pinch of salt.

1. Mix well with a round bladed knife or your hands until you have a pastry which binds well together and is slightly sticky.

You may need to add a little water. Do so by the spoonful to make sure you don't add too much.

1. Place into a pie plate and spread well over the base and up the sides, patting with fingers and the back of a soup spoon.

2. Place in the fridge to rest.

3. Gently fry the vegetables and bacon in the remaining oil until soft and golden, then transfer them to the pastry base using a slotted spoon.

4. Beat the egg with the remaining spoonful of milk and the yoghurt (or quark) and pour over the vegetables, making sure that it is spread evenly over the whole quiche.

5. Season and place in the oven for 40 minutes.

Here it is sliced:

SharonCb

* Posted by sally2 (My Page) on Tue, May 26, 09 at 22:00

Yippeeeee! I'm harvesting onions from my garden now, so this is perfect timing. I'll have to look up some recipes to post. Sharon, your recipe looks really good. I'll have to try it.

Sally

* Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on Tue, May 26, 09 at...

More Discussions
Cookalong - #27 - Pineapple
Cookalong #27 ----PINEAPPLE !!!!!! clip this post email...
ann_t
Cookalong - Holiday Cookies
iVillage GardenWeb iVillage GardenWeb THE INTERNET'S...
ann_t
Cookalong - #23 Cranberries
Cookalong #23 ------CRANBERRIES Posted by wizardnm...
ann_t
Cookalong -#27/28 Rhubarb
NOTE: Rhubarb was numbered incorrectly Should Be 28 Cookalong...
ann_t
Cookalong - #24 Pasta
Cookalong #24 ----------PASTA!!!!!!! clip this post...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™