Cookalong #9 - Rice

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, May 12, 09 at 19:07

lpinkmountain choose Rice as out next 'star ingredient'.

Here's what she had to say, "OK, new ingredient is RICE, my favorite food. In all it's forms, rice flour, rice milk, cream of rice cereal, brown, red, white, jasmine, basmati, arborio, short grain, long grain, puffed, rice crackers and cakes, rice paper . . . be still my heart."

I asked for some suggestions on how this thread might work better and so here's the change...

Instead of Saturday night cooking, we will just cook whenever it convenient over the two week period. I know that will be easier for me too! But please, don't hesitate to add to ANY of the Cookalong threads at any time. I know how life gets busy and all of a sudden you decide to make something that was way back on another cookalong thread, your comments, pictures, etc. are valuable whenever!

Also, I have found that when you search using the word 'cookalong' you will get all the threads pretty much in order and that makes life easier here too.

I'll draw another name on Monday, May 24, based on the people who post on this thread, so be thinking on what you might like our star ingredient to be.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #8----Asparagus Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong --#9-- Rice clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on Tue, May 12, 09 at 21:08

That would be "in all its forms." I hate it when I do that. I know better but it's a reflex!

I eat rice almost every week. My two usual ways of making it are: stir fried with store bought pre-marinated tofu, either "Tofu 2 Go" brand or White Wave when I can get it, OR, rice and beans, either italian style with greens and canellinni beans and italian tomato sauce and whatever other vegetables need to get used up, or south of the border style with chili style tomato sauce and either red or black beans and whatever vegetables need to get used up. Favorite vegetables to add are zuchinni, carrots, celey if I have it, peppers, and onions. Mushrooms for italian style, corn for Mexican style. Blackeyed peas and fake bacon for southern style hoppin' john.

Moving up the ladder of my hash style cooking, here's my favorite rice soup recipe, from "Diet for a Small Planet" by Frances Moore Lappe.

Hearty Tomato Soup

Saute in a heavy pot until onion is golden:

Oil as needed (probably about 1 TBLSP EVOO) 1 clove garlic, minced 1 onion, chopped 1 large stalk celery, chopped (optional) 1 large carrot, chopped

Add, stir, and saute until rice is toasty:

2 TBLSP whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (start with 3/4 cup raw, cooked in double that of water)

Add:

1 28 oz. can tomatoes (chop, mash with a spoon) 2 tsp. salt Lots of freshly ground black pepper 1 TBLSP sugar 1 tsp. each oregano and basil

Have ready:

3 cups milk, hot 1 TBLSP butter

Cook veggies and rice and tomatoes and...

More Discussions
Food Photo Tips: Part 3 - Lighten or Darken Photos with EV
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 22, 09 at...
ann_t
Cookalong #4 - Basil
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 8:27 Compumom...
ann_t
Cookalong #2 - Garlic
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 8:31 Cookalong...
ann_t
Tricia's Bread Tutorial - Removed
Removed as per Tricia's request
ann_t
Cookalong #8 - Asparagus
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Apr 27, 09 at...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™