Cookalong #7 - Exoskeletal Critters

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by lindac (My Page) on Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 0:48

you know things that wear their skeleton on the outside....things like clams, oysters, shrimp, crayfish, lobster....but not things like squid or salmon. We could include things like grasshoppers if you like and chocolate covered ants....but I'd rather not!

I would say this could be sweet or savory a la Food Network....but.

So...I'll start.

You'll need 2 pounds of freshly de headed shrimp, a big pan, a little salt lots of water and a couple of teaspoons of crab boil ( I know! They are NOT crabs, but run with it, OK?)....bring about 3 quarts of water to a rolling boil, add the crab boil and 1 tsp of kosher sale....plop in the shrimp....watch carefully, and when that pot of water comes back to a boil, shut it off quick!....let the shrimp sit in the hot water for 3 minutes, drain and sit down with a couple of friends a couple of beers and peel and those lovely shrimp.

Linda C

Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: cook along --- 7----- exoskeletal critters!

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by coconut-nj (My Page) on Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 2:58

Yay, great choice! Love me some exo's...lol.

I'm probably being anal, but now I'm worried that the thread might go too far before Nancy gets a chance to put the link to the old thread and the stuff about how the cookalong runs. Sooooo,... I'll just paste her stuff here for her.

From Nancy/WizardNM on previous threads.

For those that may have missed the previous Cookalongs ..... the idea here is to post hints, recipes and discuss the focus ingredient over the next two weeks. Recipes can use any form of the ingredient. Please mention the recipe source and whether it is one that you have already made (T+T) or one that you might be trying for the first time.

Ummm.. she would have also said that the next date for the Cookalong will be Saturday April 25th, 2009.

Also Nancy said "Don't hesitate to post earlier than that if needed. I know how life gets in the way at times." People have posted on Sunday too. Nancy/WizardNM picks a new person on the following Monday morning.

Phew, I hope I did that right and no one minds.

Here is a link that might be useful: CookAlong #6 Dried Fruits o RE: cook along --- 7----- exoskeletal critters!

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by caliloo (My Page) on Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 5:57

This is originally from and is T&T. It is absolutely TDF.

MARINATED SHRIMP WITH CHAMPAGNE BEURRE BLANC Sauce base 2 cups Champagne or other dry sparkling wine 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Shrimp 1 cup Champagne or other dry sparkling wine 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 3 tablespoons minced shallots 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 24 extra-large uncooked shrimp (about 2 pounds), peeled with...

More Discussions
Food Photo Tips: Part 9 - Setting Up a Tripod
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Sat, Sep 5, 09 at...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 6 - Making a Mini Light Box
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Aug 12, 09 at...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part I - Lighting
I can only post the instructions not the photos. Posted...
ann_t
Cooking Techniques
HOW TO STIR FRY Posted by: Teresa_nc7 (My Page) on...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 7 - Macro & Camera Icons
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Aug 19, 09 at...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™