Cookalong #6 - Dried Fruits

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 19:55

Ruthanna has picked a really fun topic.

DRIED FRUITS! This includes dried apricots, raisins, dried cranberries and cherries, dried plums (formerly known as prunes), dried apples or figs and any other varieties of dried fruit.

The dried fruits can be used in either sweet or savory recipes. So bring on the recipes and ideas.

Our virtual dinner will be on Saturday, April 11, 2009.

Don't hesitate to post earlier than that if needed. I know how life gets in the way at times.

For those that may have missed the previous Cookalongs ..... the idea here is to post hints, recipes and discuss the focus ingredient over the next two weeks. Recipes can use any form of the ingredient. Please mention the recipe source and whether it is one that you have already made (T+T) or one that you might be trying for the first time.

I'm going to make an attempt to link all the cookalongs together.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #5 LEMONS Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: cookalong --6-- dried fruits clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by lindac (My Page) on Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 20:59

Ok......I'll be the first to start the cookalong.

Hazlenut/apricot bread.

3 1/4 cups of AP flour 1/2 cup WW flour 1 1/2 Tablespoons of instant yeast 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt 1/4 tsp of cinnamon...just a whiff!

Mix in the food processor,

Add 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots and 1/4 cup coarsley chopped toasted hazel nuts zap the processor to mix.

Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of honey and pulse to mix.

Slowly add 1 1/4 cups of cold water or enough so that the dough cleans the work bowl.

Blend 30 seconds, turn out into a bowl, cover, place in a warm place until double, punch down and allow to double again....punch down form into 2 free form loaves, allow to almost double and bake at 350 in a steamy oven for 40 minutes until the internal temperature measures 190.

Brush the top with egg glaze before baking for a shiny finish.

Linda C

o RE: cookalong --6-- dried fruits clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 21:19

Okay here's one from me:

Cranberry-Almond Biscotti

Makes about 20.

Ingredients:

Juice and zest of 1 orange - (my orange yielded 1/2 cup of juice) 1 TBSP Amaretto liqueur - ( I used 1 teasp almond extract) 1/2 cup (1 x 75 gram pack) dried cranberries 1 3/4 cups (250 grams) (9oz) wholewheat flour 1/2 cup (8 TBSP) sugar (I use granulated fructose) 1 teasp cinnamon 1/2 teasp baking powder 1/2 teasp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) 1/4 teasp ground nutmeg 1 large egg 1 egg white 1/3 cup (50 grams) (2 oz) toasted almonds, chopped

1. Heat the orange juice, Amaretto and cranberries in a small saucepan just until hot.

Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.

Drain and reserve the juice.

2. Preheat the oven...

More Discussions
Forum Recipes
Archive for Frequently Asked For Recipes. I'll be happy...
ann_t
Cookalong #1 - Ginger
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 8:33 Posted...
ann_t
Cookalong #7 - Exoskeletal Critters
Posted by lindac (My Page) on Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 0:48 you...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 8 - Depth of Field
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Tue, Aug 25, 09 at...
ann_t
Tricia's Bread Tutorial - Removed
Removed as per Tricia's request
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™