Cookalong #3 - Carrots

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 19:43

Sheshebop has picked CARROTS for our next Cookalong focus ingredient.

Before you groan.... think about the wide variety of things made from carrots. There's many desserts, breads, salads and main dishes in addition to carrots cooked as a vegetable.

So let's get creative!

Our virtual dinner will be Sat Feb 28.

For those that may have missed the first Cookalong..... the idea here is to post hints, recipes and discuss the focus ingredient over the next two weeks. Recipes can use any form of the ingredient. Please mention the recipe source and whether it is one that you have already made (T+T) or one that you might be trying for the first time.

I'm going to make an attempt to link all the cookalongs together.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #2---Garlic Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Cookalong #3---Carrots Thread #1 clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by ann_t (My Page) on Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 21:14

Okay, well that was just plain mean of Sherry.

Ann

o RE: Cookalong #3---Carrots Thread #1 clip this post email this post what is this?

* Posted by publickman (My Page) on Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 21:32

I don't have a recipe for it, but I do like ginger carrot soup. I have two carrots in the fridge that I bought for making soup stock, but I have to buy a chicken first. I have never made ginger carrot soup, and so if someone can suggest a good recipe, I could possibly try that.

Here's a partial recipe I ran across while cleaning my desk today. It is for Vietnamese dipping sauce, but it has no quantities! I simply make it to taste.

Ingredients:

fish sauce lime juice fresh minced Serrano chili julienned carrot sugar cilantro

Carrot is not a main ingredient, but it's definitely in there. I sometimes add grated carrot to egg rolls or summer rolls, although I haven't made those recently. I think I'm in the mood for some of those now, however.

I use no more than half a carrot when I make chicken stock, or else it tastes too sweet for me. Except for the ginger soup, I can only take carrots in tiny doses - but I love ginger, and so that makes it all better.

I just remembered that the first cookalong was Ginger, and so I went to that thread (which I had not read up to this point), and found Lindac's ginger carrot soup recipe. I guess I'm a bit behind here.

Lars

* Posted by lakeguy35 (My Page) on Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 21:40

The first thing I thought of was dessert..LOL! I love, love this recipe/cake!

Posted by: DanaIN (My Page) on Mon, Jun 7, 04 at 9

Classic Carrot Cake 2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons cinnamon 3/4 teaspoon ground...

More Discussions
Food Photo Tips: Part 4 - Seamless Backgrounds
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 29, 09 at...
ann_t
Tricia's Bread Tutorial - Removed
Removed as per Tricia's request
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 3 - Lighten or Darken Photos with EV
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 22, 09 at...
ann_t
Cooking Techniques
HOW TO STIR FRY Posted by: Teresa_nc7 (My Page) on...
ann_t
Forum Recipes
Archive for Frequently Asked For Recipes. I'll be happy...
ann_t
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™