Cookalong #1 - Ginger

ann_tJanuary 1, 2013

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 8:33

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 9:59

The first ingredient focus is GINGER (any form).

Let's learn all we can.

Use this thread for all posts, recipes, discussion, pictures, questions, etc. If we need to add a second thread we can link it back to this one.

Recipes should all be T+T... unless stated that this a new recipe. Please give recipe source if known.

The Virtual dinner will be on Sat. January 31 2009.

You are encouraged to participate in the virtual dinner. No real requirements other than that one dish needs to have ginger in the starring role.

Please post a photo of your dish or dishes if you can. If you are new to posting photos we can help. If you haven't posted the recipe previously on the thread, please post it when you describe your virtual dinner.

All posts need to be completed by Sunday @ 6pm EST. I'll be drawing the name of the person who chooses the next focus ingredient soon after. So please check back in here Sunday evening to see if YOU are that person. The next day (Monday) is when we need to start the next Cookalong.

The one hangup I see is having the next person check in to find out they need to choose... have to work on that part. Ideas?

Let's begin our discussion about GINGER now.... :))

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to original discussion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Cookalong #1 --- GINGER clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 10:23

Oh, how cool is this? I just picked up a beautiful piece of gingerroot yesterday! Now I just have to figure out what to make...

This sounds easy and good:

ASIAN PLUM-GLAZED ROASTED CHICKEN

1 (2-1/2 lb.) chicken 1/4 cup plum preserves 2 Tblsp. oyster sauce 1 Tblsp. Asian sesame oil 2 Tblsp. minced garlic 1 Tblsp. ground ginger 2 tsp. soy sauce 2 Tblsp. Chinese plum sauce

Wash chicken; pat dry. Tie legs together and tuck wings underneath breast. Combine preserves, oyster sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and plum sauce in a large bowl; whisk to mix thoroughly. Place chicken in the bowl with the marinade, turning to coat all sides of the chicken. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

About 2 hours before serving, preheat oven to 350° F. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken in a heatproof dish and bake for 40 minutes.

Add 1/3 cup water to bottom of dish; baste chicken with dripping/water mixture. Cook another 15 minutes, then baste again. Continue cooking and basting every 10 to 15 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked, about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Let cool slightly; carve and serve. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Chef Paul McCann of Le Cirque 2000 creates elaborate dishes for his pricey New York restaurant, but he also developed this simple entree...

More Discussions
Forum Recipes
Archive for Frequently Asked For Recipes. I'll be happy...
ann_t
Cookalong #13 - Cheese
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 12:49 The...
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 6 - Making a Mini Light Box
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Aug 12, 09 at...
ann_t
Tricia's Bread Tutorial - Removed
Removed as per Tricia's request
ann_t
Food Photo Tips: Part 3 - Lighten or Darken Photos with EV
Posted by canarybird (My Page) on Wed, Jul 22, 09 at...
ann_t
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™