High Heat Roasting Beef

Member PagesJanuary 1, 2013

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

High Heat cooking Instructions

General Instructions (for Barbara Kafka's "Roasting A Simple Art")

"Different meats and different cuts have different cooking times. That's why there are recipes. I did try to find a universal rule so that I could say as I do for fish, "ten minutes per inch" or for chicken "ten minutes per pound," and then describe the exceptions. It didn't work. Timing is as much a factor of fat content, bone content, and the shape of the roast as a specific kind of meat.

The only easy rules are for boneless loin of pork or beef (the shell or strip) and venison and beef fillet. They always cook in the same amount of time since the only way they increase in size is according to their length, which will not influence the cooking time."

This is her recipe for a Simple Rib Roast

4 1/2 pound without short ribs Standing rib roast (2 Ribs) or 26 Pound standing rib roast (7 ribs total) 2 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered Kosher salt to taste Freshly ground black pepper 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups red wine for deglazing 1 recipe for Yorkshire pudding.

Roast should be at room temperature, not taken directly from the fridge. Place oven rack on the second level from the bottom. Heat oven to 500°F.

Place small roast in a 14 X 12 X2 inch roasting pan. bone side down. The large roast will need an 18 X 13 X 2 inch roasting pan. Snuggle most of the garlic, is using, under the fat and spread remainder under the meat. Season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes. With meat in oven, reduce heat to 325° and roast for an additional 3 minutes per pound.( i.e.: 4lb =12minutes, 7lb = 21 minutes, 26 lb =78 minutes) etc..Increase heat to 450°F and roast for another 15 minutes regardless of size. Meat temperature should read 135 on an instant - read thermometer. If you like it more rare, reduce the additional 3 minutes per pound to 2 minutes or for less rare, increase the 3 minutes to 5 minutes.

Remove roast from oven. Transfer to a serving platter. Pour or spoon off excess fat, reserving about 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of fat. Put pan over high heat and add wine. Deglaze pan well scraping with a wooden spoon. Let reduce by half. Pour liquid into a small saucepan and reserve.

For Whole New York Strip Loin, the directions are a little bit different.

According to Barbara Kafka's instructions, it doesn't matter what size the New York strip roast is the directions are the same.

Roasted New York Strip Loin

one 10 pound New York Strip (16 inches) Trussed 1 head of garlic cloves lightly smashed and peeled, optional 3 to 4 springs fresh thyme kosher salt pepper 1 1/2 cup basic beef stock or a combination of beef stock, veal stock or red wine 2 tablespoons basic veal glaze optional.

Place oven rack on second level from the top of the oven, or second from the bottom if the fat cover is thick. Heat oven to 500°F.

Place strip...

More Discussions
Cookalong - #40 Wine
Cookalong #40 - Wine clip this post email this post...
ann_t
Cookalong - Holiday Cookies
iVillage GardenWeb iVillage GardenWeb THE INTERNET'S...
ann_t
Cookalong - #38 - Dates
Cookalong #38 --- Dates clip this post email this post...
ann_t
Cookalong - #41 Greens, Cooked and Raw
Cookalong #41 -Greens, Cooked and Raw Posted by bbstx...
ann_t
Cookalong -#46 Poultry
Cookalong #46-------POULTRY Posted by wizardnm (My...
ann_t
Sponsored Products
Low Voltage Bendable 204 Track Head by WAC Lighting
$54.00 | Lumens
Savy High Gloss Black Tall Vertical Designer Radiator 63 x 14 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Croquet Outdoor Sofa with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Wenge Shoes Rack with 5 Folding Single-Depth Mirror Doors
TheBathOutlet
Diz Olive Green Satin Nickel Tech Lighting Track Light Pendant
Euro Style Lighting