Start /Stop Button Vs. Foot Pedal

agnesdDecember 22, 2010

Never had a start/stop button before this machine. Trying to get used to it. I have a problem with pin removal. Just wondering if there are any hints I should know. Does anyone use this almost exclusively or is it better suited to certain tasks. Obviously, it wouldn't be good for free motion or would it? Should I persevere with it, and I will love it or should I leave it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanajayne

I have had a Start/stop button on my last 2 machines. I consider it almost an essential now. I use it for most of my sewing but as you pointed out freemotion quilting doesn't work very well that way. I also use the foot pedal if I am doing a detailed task or with very thich fabric sometimes.
I think you will love it with practice. I sure do.
Jayne

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 11:32PM
imrainey

I am a bad person. I leave pins in and sew over them all the time. All the time.

I almost never have an altercation between a pin and the machine's needle. But I have had direct contact where the needle continues on and I've had direct contact where the needle breaks. Irritating! But not nearly so irritating as going at a snail's pace all the time to remove pins. And, regardless of how dramatic the contact might be, I've still only ever had to replace a needle. Not get my machines serviced. That's about 10 years for my Husqvarna, 2 years for my Bernina and 30+ years for the Singer I had before my Husqvarna).

I wonder if the difference is how I pin? I pin at a right angle with the raw edge. I put the needle from the center of the work toward where the seam will go and I try to stay just beyond the seam allowance (1/4" for quilting 5/8" for garments). But there are critical points where the pin is right through a Y seam or the convergence of pinwheels too.

More on topic, I have used the Start/Stop feature for FMQ. It left knots on the bottom where my hands didn't keep up on turns or on securing the final stitches. But as a newbie and total spazoid at FMQ it liberated me from worrying about how even a speed I maintained with my foot pedal. Just thinking about what my hands were doing made it possible for me to FMQ at all. ...tho I am working at proper technique.

Even if I have to take a machine in

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 1:48PM
agnesd

Thanks for the info I appreciate all the help I can get.

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 9:17PM
barbara_l

I also love the start stop button, expecially for decorative stitching. The speed control is just plain great.Once you get used to it you will never go back to the pedal.

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 11:13AM
K8Orlando

So please forgive those of us who have never used a stop/start button - this will probably sound like a couple dumb questions!
Do you really have to press a button to stop the stitching? Is that faster and easier than a foot control? I just can't imagine giving up my foot pedal!
Dumb questions?

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 1:35PM
barbara_l

No dumb question.... yes you push a button to stop the stitching. I have it down to where I know how fast I want to run my machine (also can be set on my maching) and with using this method you become almost automatic on what needs to be done, like having your foot in your hand.

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 8:00PM
agnesd

That's exactly what I wanted to know. If it gets easier and I can tell after a week it already is. I've had knee operated machines and pedal ones. Now I have a knee operated presser foot that I feel in love with on the first day. But sometimes I'm pushing the imaginary pedal or running it by the knee lift. Confused but working on it.

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22
I hope to spend a lot of time in my sewing room this...
lindaoh_gw
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
Sponsored Products
Nourison Kindred KIN09 Area Rug - 14400
$55.99 | Hayneedle
Linon Monaco Espresso Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Fabbian | Tile D95 E03 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Coco Chair in Green
Grandin Road
Pro Track Brushed Steel 300 Watt LV Track Kit - Plug In
Lamps Plus