The girlfriend quilt...

mary_c_gwDecember 18, 2011

I mentioned in LindaOH's post that I was making a quilt for my son's girlfriend. I finished the binding last night, so all that's left is the label.

I used a basketweave pattern in a large size, and once again, I don't want to give it away, LOL.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

The binding and the variegated thread were perfect choices. Beautiful job. Of course, you had me at 'batiks'! I can understand why you don't want to give this one up.

Kate

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 2:59PM
magothyrivergirl

Beautiful - she will love it! This looks like an easy pattern - I need to have some easy designs to keep on hand for when I need a quick quilt (like now).
Your choice of Batiks, the binding, and of course the quilting makes it very special. Very nice present.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 3:11PM
nanajayne

Very nice. She will be thrilled. The binding is just right for the quilt. Nice job as always, especially the quilting. TFS

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 3:35PM
salijo

Beautiful fabrics!!! (I have the same turquoise batik....it's just so pretty!)

Salijo

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 4:52PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Oooooohhhhhh....I never thought about making this with larger size blocks......and with Batiks! What's not to love? Gorgeous!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 8:57PM
toolgranny

I love the colors. And, batiks are always stunning. Good job.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 9:58PM
teresa_nc7

Beautiful! If she doesn't love it....well....maybe she's not the 'right' girlfriend? But I'm sure she will love such a gorgeous quilt. Your color choices are wonderful.

Teresa

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 7:00AM
fran1523

Complimentary colors in gorgeous batiks. Beautiful.

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 9:56AM
magothyrivergirl

Mary, for the binding-How wide did you cut each strip of the 2 different fabrics? I'm assuming you used your method of cutting/seaming straight grain strips before cutting on the bias to make french binding. Do you determine the spacing to keep the color spaces even when joining the tails?

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 12:56PM
loisflan

Mary, the quilt is lovely. I was especially taken by your binding. I assumed it was just pieces sewn together on the diagonal as I do all my bindings, but Marsha's post makes me think otherwise. Can you explain the process, please. I also was thinking how precise your calculations must be for joining. Wonderful job!

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 3:56PM
mary_c_gw

Thanks all for the compliments!

Marsha, I'm sure there is some way to crunch the numbers and have it all work out - but I'm much too lazy to even attempt it. I've had it serendipitously work out occasionally, but it didn't for this quilt. The binding ends are joined with a straight seam at the center bottom, because diagonals didn't work out, and it left roughly the same amount of red showing.

In this case I used the same strip width (6.5") as I used in the blocks, mainly because they were already cut, LOL, and that was the absolute end of the red fabric.

Loisf, I use bias binding 98% of the time, but you could actually do it with straight of grain, joined as you suggest. But that's a whole lot more seams, and more waste.

I have some photos of how I do the binding. I lay the strips out, staggering them so I have very little waste.

Laying the strips out:

Trimming and cutting:

Joining:

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 4:48PM
magothyrivergirl

Thanks Mary - I looked very good to find where you joined the seams, and could not see it - good idea to use a straight seam to make it work. I was thinking of using this on my Goodbye Irene quilt, since I'm not sure I have enough of the inner border to use as the binding. Combining the the inner and outer border will solve the problem easily and add some interest - thanks!
I really like your quilt. If she doesn't like it......maybe she isn't the right girlfriend.......quote from Teresa - spoken only as a Mother of Son(s) can speak!!!!!hahahaha

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 9:39PM
loisflan

Very clever, Mary. Thanks for the excellent pictures. I can't wait to have the opportunity to use this idea on one of my quilts. Lois

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 10:01PM
cannahavana

Great job on the quilt Mary! Two colors I wouldn't think would go together, but I think it looks awesome. I think I have some of the turquoise batik. I appreciate the binding tutorial too!

What are your block sizes on the basket weave?

Rebecca

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 7:45AM
mary_c_gw

Thanks Rebecca!

The large strips are cut 6.5", the white strips are cut 1.5". Then the strip sets are cut into 8.5" blocks, so they finish at 8". The inner white border is 1", and the outer border is 6".

I think the basketweave effect is much more pronounced with a smaller block and dark sashing, but I like this effect also.

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 8:58AM
magothyrivergirl

This larger block really works better with the batiks.

I bought this same Batik at Mary Jo's as a wide backing in a hunter green, burgundy, dark gold - very intense warm color combo. I'm going to have leftovers - it would make up in this design for a nice fall quilt. Thanks!

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
Baby Quilts - may be photo 'heavy'
Will attempt to post pictures of four of the five baby...
beth7happy
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
Still having trouble separating my GW and H accounts
Just posting this to be sure it works after I confirmed....
quiltnhen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™