Is it possible to add crown molding to this room? (X-post)

storyofmylifeDecember 23, 2012

Hi all

As suggested in the Woodworking forum, I am cross-posting my question here.

I'm looking for some guidance. Our house is in the final stages of construction and we are at the stage where the finish carpentry is being done. We like to put crown molding (5-1/4") in our dining room, consistent with the rest of the house. The carpenter took a look and said that doing crown would be tough because of one intersection (where the vaulted ceiling meets a flat ceiling from the hall). He recommended that we leave this room alone.

I wanted to see if anyone here can look at the photos and see if there is any way that a crown molding can be done for this room.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Please post that other photo you have. That one shows the sloped ceiling more clearly.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 11:54AM
storyofmylife

As requested by homebound, I am attaching the other photograph.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 12:44PM
jakabedy

Well, you could move the cased door opening into the room (toward the viewer in the first picture) so it is flush with the sloped wall. That would eliminate the flat section of ceiling (with the recessed light) and would give you two flat walls intersecting. But that would be a costly change at this point (I would think) and you'd still be dealing with a fairly contemporary room that you're trying to "traditionalize" with crown molding. Your arched opening doesn't have much room for molding (is there 5-1/4" there?), and I don't know that a vaulted ceiling with a skylight easily lends itself to crown moldings.

What if you were to flip the idea on its head and go with some sort of wainscoting? You'd eliminate the ceiling problem, but would still have a more traditional treatment for the room.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 11:34AM
palimpsest

Drop the ceiling in that alcove or put just enough of a header in the opening to run the molding.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 9:29PM
weedyacres

What pal said: either lower the ceiling in the hall/alcove or drywall in a "beam" of sorts at that opening. Either method gives you more "face" on the DR wall for the crown on the sloping ceiling to meet the adjoining wall.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 5:33PM
storyofmylife

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I spoke with our finish carpenter yesterday about the ideas you proposed, and today he implemented the idea of putting a beam (actually a 2 x 4) across the opening, added crown in the small ceiling area between this opening and the door opening (leading to the bedroom wing). Then on the dining room side of the opening, he then proceeded to extend the crown molding down the sloping ceiling. He finished off by trimming the underside of this 2 x 4 and it looks great!

Thank you again!

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 10:51PM
weedyacres

Can you post an after photo?

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 11:28AM
island

Yes please post a picture! I too have rake ceilings that intersect with flat and would love to have crown molding, but could never imagine it working. More photos please! Thanks.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 6:49PM
storyofmylife

As requested, I'm posting a couple of pictures. It will be in a couple of different posts, since I have not yet been able to figure out out to post more than one picture per post. This is a picture of the "after" from the same frontal perspective as the before.

The carpenter was debating whether to box it with something larger (with a 4 x 4) but ultimately decided against that. He said that if he used a 4 x 4 as the "header", he felt like he would have to case out this opening, which would look a little awkward for what this opening is (or isn't).

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 12:38PM
storyofmylife

Another photo, as viewed from the bedroom hallway side and underneath.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 12:42PM
palimpsest

That is a good solution.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 5:36PM
bmh4796

looks nice!

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
House remodel
Well I got the numbers for the remodel of my 1950s...
buckeye_11
2x8 Joists are 1.75x7.75 and 2x6 Joists are 1.75x5.75? why is this?
Posted this in another forum but looking for more answers. I...
tlbean2004
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89 x-post
x-posted in Windows forum We're getting ready to remodel...
lisa_a
Kitchen cabinets
Can someone here give me the names of a few sites for...
Optimist999
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™