beginning applique/

fincheloverOctober 19, 2011

I WANT TO APPLIQUE.A BEGINNER,MY ? IS,HOW DO I PLACE THE PIECE TO BE APPLIQUED ON THE MATAERIAL TO MAKE IT EVEN. DO I FOLD THE SQUARE INTO THEN FIGURE OUT WHERE I WANT THE PIECE TO BE APPLIQUED IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT SO IT WILL LOOK EVEN ON THE BLOCK...IS THIS MAKING SENSE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I CAN'T FIND A TUT HOW TO DO IT WAY FROM THE START

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

I use a piece of material at least 2 inches larger than I'll need. That way if it's off center or wonky, I can trim it to 12.5x12.5 when the applique is done.

I find the center of the fabric and the center of the applique pattern. I put the fabric over the pattern with the centers lined up and very lightly sketch the pattern with a pencil. I haven't been doing applique very long and I'm still paranoid about it so I tend to pull out the pattern and verify as I start each new little piece of applique.

Kate

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 8:26PM
toolgranny

I trace my pattern onto a piece of clear film, like template plastic or a sheet protector, and use it as an overlay and locater guide for each piece, lining up centers of overlay to background centering marks. I fold the background in half each way to have a center line and mark with a washable pen. Then I do same with clear overlay, judging what would be center of motif. As I place each piece, I match overlay center marks and slip the piece under the film and pin in place. Does that make sense?

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 9:46PM
quiltingfox

Buy and use some Steam-A-Seam2. It is a bonding material that you cut the same size as your pieces of applique and then with a cool steam setting you iron your applique piece to the Steam-A-Seam2 to the background fabric all at one time. It's like making an iron on patch out of your applique pieces and keeps them from moving around while you hand-applique stitch or machine applique stitch. Steam-A-Seam2 can be bought at Hobby Lobby and is easy to sew through and does NOT gum up your needle. I have done a lot of appliqueing on by hand and by machine during the past year and highly recommend this product.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 10:41PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

My favorite way to applique is to use the back-basting method. I cannot find the original tutorial I used, but here's one that should work. This is really easy, doesn't slip and slide around and doesn't use pins so you don't get stuck. Enjoy the process!

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Back-Basting Tutorial

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 11:16AM
finchelover

A big thank you ladies for your response I will be gone to my grand daughters wedding so when I get back I can't wait to try your methods out. Thanks again...This is a great site to get a answer to one's questions/

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 8:29PM
kay_in_pa

My favorite way to "mark" the piece to be cut is to use a hera. A lot of people aren't familiar with it, so when I was moderating the monthly block lotto, I did a short tutorial on how I use it.

Link is below. I love this method because it makes the sewing easier and doesn't leave a single mark!

Here is a link that might be useful: Using a Hera for Applique

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Official Retreat Sign-up
Thought I would start a separate sign-up thread for...
grammyp
Scouting out locations for our next retreat...
I was so excited to meet up with Linda (ToolGranny)...
loisflan
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
I'm new here and sharing my quilts
Hello, I'm new to your forum, but not new to sewing....
craftylady
Sponsored Products
Kathy Ireland Ocean Fantasy Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Creme Shade with Gold Flower Trim 7x16x12 (Spider)
$89.99 | Lamps Plus
Firenze Applique Sconce
| Italy Design
Patch Magic Ranch Trail Toss Pillow 16 x 16-Inch
$31.00 | Bellacor
Festive Heights Chandelier
$299.99 | Dot & Bo
VWW 5050 Single Row CC LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
King Hannah Matelasse Coverlet Set - LAVENDER
$479.90 | Horchow
Crystal Handled Cutlery Holder