Had to remove part of my subfloor, now I have NO idea what to do

amateurplumberJuly 25, 2014

Hey all...I am remodeling my shower and have run into a problem. The subfloor was rotted so I removed it and am adding a new subfloor. I bought the plywood, and planned to put a nailing edge on the left and right sides where the old plywood sticks out slightly to put the new plywood on.

HOWEVER, I am worried about the left and right walls. Since I've cut the plywood, I am worried that they dont have enough support. Underneath them is just an empty space; the joists to the left and right side of the left and right walls, respectively, are a few inches away. How can I support the walls better? Here is an image of what I'm talking about (I know the idiots cut the joist to fit the drain; I plan on sistering it): https://i.imgur.com/yXxcZZf.jpg

Thanks SO much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JacksonBuilt

Can you access the next joist over in each direction? Is this going to be a tile base or prefabricated of some sort?

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:21PM
amateurplumber

I think I can if I remove the ceiling of the floor below, which I have to anyway. I am using the kerdi schluter preformed foam pan, and will then put tile on top of that.

Someone told me to just screw a 2x6 into the base of the frame of both walls, then screw the plywood into that and use it as a nailing edge. Would that work?

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:27PM
JacksonBuilt

Im not going to say it won't work, but I wouldn't want to chance the tile cracking because of movement/ sagging underneath the shower pan later on. If you can remove the ceiling below I would put in some blocking between the two joist @ 16" on center. This should give you plenty of support for your tile pan.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 6:53AM
Trebruchet

amateurplumber:

Your wall framing is fine; fugetaboudit, however, your center floor joist has been seriously compromised by the chew marks near the drain. I'd sister a new joist next to it which shouldn't be a problem if you're going to open the ceiling below anyway.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:20AM
renovator8

A link would help.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Do I match exterior door/window hardware to interior?
We will have white interior doors with oil rubbed bronze...
happyallison
"Green" Remodeling - where to start?
We would like to remodel using materials and processes...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Inquiry into Counterfeit Faucet Certification Marks.
Faucets sold in North America are regulated. They are...
StarCraft Custom Builders
Design and Planning a Remodel/Addition on a Budget
I bought my first home three years ago and had grand...
gzehnder
Acting As My Own GC, Missing One Peice of the Puzzle
I am doing a kitchen renovation. I won't be moving...
homechef59
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™