What scratching post?

glaserberlDecember 27, 2011

I didn't want to hijack "cat abandoned by my dad" post but need some advice on enticing one of our cats to not use our furniture for scratching. We have 4 cats, 2 use a variety of scratching surfaces, 1 is de-clawed (found him that way) and number 4 is the problem. He is the youngest at just over a year. We have a sisal covered post, 2 of the card board scratchers and a tree limb mounted upright on a wood base. Biggles prefers anything furniture. The chenille ottoman, the cotton cover of a recliner and the fabric bins that fill shelf cubbies. I have covered some corners with double sided sticky tape and he leaves those alone. If I have to I will cover every corner but would rather find a scratching post he likes. Any suggestions?

TIA

Katharina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elly_NJ

Carpeted cat trees were the best money I ever spent. I put them by the windows and the cats love them.

If Puja goes to my furniture, I put a cardboard scratching box there and she uses it.

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 4:55PM
laurief_gw

Hmm, you're already offering the three surfaces preferred by my cats: sisal, corrugated cardboard, and real wood. But if Biggles prefers scratching fabric, then buy or make him scratching posts covered by a variety of fabrics. Rub the posts liberally with fresh or dried catnip leaves (don't use that catnip spray). Between luring him to the posts with catnip and fabric, and covering all furniture corners with double-sided tape, you should be able to teach that naughty Biggles where his claws do and don't belong.

Laurie

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 4:56PM
glaserberl

So far he has not shown interest in catnip. The other three go nuts. Maybe he has to get a bit more mature to get high on it. I have some short, nubby carpet remnant. Maybe that will interest him. I have tried the scratching post with the longer carpet and it was a no for all of them. Maybe a 4x4 with a different fabric on each side...

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 5:04PM
calliope

Some cats are not catnip sensitive. There is a genetic receptor and some cats have it, some don't. My siamese wasn't into catnip, but she sure hunted out my doublemint gum I had in my purse. I'd go to get a piece and find hundreds of puncture marks on it. After the fact, it struck me they were tooth marks. Ick.

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 5:17PM
animallover32

For the cat that I now own, I went to walmart and got some of those cardboard scratcher things. It came with a package of catnip in it. Once she sniffed the catnip she left my furniture alone. (mostly) lol

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 5:24PM
laurief_gw

Kittens usually don't respond to catnip until they reach sexual maturity.

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 7:11PM
glaserberl

Ha,he got snipped at the shelter before he at about 6 weeks. He might never know the pleasure of catnip. :)

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
how many of you like mice?
They are Ginny and scabbers.I don't have them now because...
adi003
God & swee' pea got together and sent me this...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Ninapearl/Olivia_zpsqx3k9bjt.jpg this...
Ninapearl
doggie dementia?
My 12 yr old dog has started waking up in the middle...
beaglemomma
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
GWgal
Have you had a cat just vanish?
My beautiful black cat, Midnight just vanished . I...
berk
Sponsored Products
Jonti-Craft Multi-purpose Rectangle Table - 57624JC
$153.02 | Hayneedle
Beer and Food Hardcover Guide
| Dot & Bo
Entertaining Slate Cheeseboard
| Dot & Bo
"Amphibious" Giclee - MULTI COLORS
$1,200.00 | Horchow
EcoQue Chip Strip - ECO-72183
$24.99 | Hayneedle