Just found Out

secsteveDecember 23, 2012

That I lost a former co-worker that I had stayed in touch with for many years ago.

His wife dropped me a line on Facebook asking me if I was so and so. My stomach dropped immediately as I feared the worst. He'd been battling cancer for over a year and when I goggled his name I found the obituary. He died in June.

I found the phone number and called her. She said she searched for me after receiving my card. She felt bad that I hadn't been notified before now. I told her that at time like that, it's hard to remember who to notify and to not apologize. We then went on to talk for a good fifteen to twenty minutes remembering Robbie. I told her how he went to my defense when I was accused of being sloppy in my proofreading by a Navy Commander we were working for. Robbie told my boss the problem was the Commander was taking the work right out of the printer before I even had a chance to check it. We then talked about how he loved doing the Christmas Cards and how much she hated it.

She asked me to please stay in touch and I assured her I would. The sad part is he was only 50 and leaves her and two kids (one college sophomore, one a high school senior)behind.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tami_ohio

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend!

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 10:49PM
mamatoad

I'm so sorry, Steve! I am sure his wife will appreciate your staying in touch with her. We are never prepared for the loss of a good friend. Thinking of you!

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 10:53PM
marry

I'm very sorry, Steve.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 11:23PM
pammyfay

So sorry -- a loss like that, which surprises you, is bound to leave you in a bit of a daze.
Your calling her was a good thing! Sharing memories made both of you remember happy, admirable qualities of your friend, even tho I know it was bittersweet.

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 2:36AM
Georgysmom

This holiday season must be very difficult for her and I'm sure your phone call brightened it immensely.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 12:06PM
katlan

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. 50 is so young, and to still have kids at home, ugh, heartbreaking.

It was good of her to contact you, and for you to call her. I hope you can stay in touch. I think talking about lost loved ones helps so much. It helped me. I talk about my parents literally on a daily basis. It keeps them alive and well in my heart.

Bookmark   December 25, 2012 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Did everyone send out their swap gifts?
Just checking, only a few days left.
JoAnn_Fla
Utah
Moving to Ogden, Utah. Not Mormon. What can I expect...
Deeby
Has anyone ever shipped a car?
I'm thinking of selling my car to my sister, but she...
uxorial
I'll Show You Mine if You Show Me Yours Sat Mar 28
There are 2 lighthouses at Cape Spear, this is the...
caseynfld
Chuck roasts
I can remember when they were 50 cents a pound :(
lucillle
Sponsored Products
Grand Liberty Deluxe 9 Piece Brown Rectangular Dining Set
Overstock.com
Modway Loft Three-Seater Bench in Black
Beyond Stores
Safavieh Area Rug: Cambridge Light Blue/Ivory 4' x 6'
Home Depot
AF Lighting Spellbound 7492-3H Pendant - 7492-3H