As seen on tv purchase at Dollar Tree

glenda_alDecember 6, 2012

Multi purpose chef basket

They were going fast at DT, so I bought a few as fun gifts for friends and ONE for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marie_ndcal

Looks interesting but will need to see what kind of metal they are using--I prefer stainless steel.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 5:54PM
Georgysmom

Glenda, we had our golf Christmas luncheon today. The decorations were lovely and on the back of every chair there was a very nice, stiff glittery bow in green, red, or gold. I asked my friend where she got them....the Dollar Tree!. She went back to get some more and they didn't have any. She bought out the store the first time. Turns out that they were shipped to Dollar Tree by mistake. They actually sell for $3.98 a piece and she got them for $1:00. How's that for a bargain!!

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 6:08PM
glenda_al

The Original Chef Basket is the most versatile colander you will ever own. Made of flexible stainless steel, it can be used to steam, deep fry, rinse and strain.
Folds flat for compact storage.
9 inches in diameter- use in 4-6 quart sauce pans or Dutch Oven.
Dishwasher safe

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 6:09PM
glenda_al

I see where CVS has them for $5.98

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 6:11PM
JoAnn_Fla

I have one, never tried it. Good deal though.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 7:10PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they don't get very good reviews at Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: TeleBrands Original Chef Basket, Deluxe

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 8:34PM
glenda_al

For a dollar, it's worth trying :o)

Gave one to friend, who told me her mother had one and loved using it.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 8:45PM
maire_cate

My DD gave me one, I tried it and returned it. It's flimsy, several wires weren't completely attached and the openings are so large some of the pasta fell through. You also need the right size pot to use it in - even though it says you can use a 4 to 6 quart sauce pan but if you pan is on the wide size the chef's basket wouldn't have adequate support.

I think the basic idea is good but this product isn't buying.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:32PM
glenda_al

Will let you know when I try it this weekend.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:34PM
cynic

Bought one about 20 years ago. Waste of time and money. I thought it'd be good for washing lettuce and things and for that I guess it works but it's clumsy.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 9:43PM
marylmi

I have had one for many years and find it very useful at times, like blanching vegetables, when I need an extra drainer for fruit, using it also as an extra steamer.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:50PM
OklaMoni

My mom had one of these, when I was a kid, back in Germany. She used it for steaming.

Moni

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:59PM
glenda_al

Sometimes reviews are NOT always what they appear to be.
Looking forward to using mine.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 11:03PM
ont_gal

I had one a long time ago that I had a fine chain on and used it to hang fruit in the kitchen :)

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 3:10AM
thistledew5750

The way I looked at the reviews 3 being above average 4 being good 5 being best..it looks to me as it has better likes than dislikes, on Amazon. For a dollar I think it would be worth a try. And if the wires do loosen up a bit my husband is a good handyman who has had to fix more expensive items that were highly recommended such as a Food Saver model that we had about 8 months that went caput, and would have cost more to send it back to the factory, we had only used it maybe four or five times....I use a hand operated model now that would only break down if I did. LOL!!! So for a dollar? Yeah, I will try it...think it would be great for pasta, veggies, blanching veggies in summer, even if I used it just one summer season for blanching veggies before canning.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 11:02AM
bengardening

I just saw them at Dollar Tree today. They were in the back of the store on an end shelf. I really thought about buying one. Then I figured I might never use it. Maybe a Christmas time when I go to Bismarck again I will buy one. I will only be out of a dollar if I dont like it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
My 600 lb Life
I have been watching this program the past few weeks,...
enjoyingspring
Williamsburg, VA.
We have about 8" of snow right now. A very heavy...
Georgysmom
Amazing Aunt Audrey
If you could take back 10 years...
If you had the ability to have 10 years of your life...
pickyshopper
Beet Greens
What's your favorite way to prepare beet greens? I've...
Suzieque
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™