About Windex winow cleaner

Sue_vaDecember 13, 2012

Windex doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. I'm wondering if there is something new or better than the old favorite?

I did the windows a couple months ago and they just didn't seem to look clean like they usually do. I really want to clean them before Christmas, and I'm going to be in town tomorrow and wondering if any of you have a suggestion for something else?

TIA

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cynic

I find it's not so much the cleaner but the equipment. The cleanest windows I get are using a good squeegee. I haven't had to buy any glass cleaner for a while but Windex used to be my favorite. Sparkle gets good reviews from friends. I've often used vinegar water when low on glass cleaner. The key is to get them dry quickly, where the squeegee comes in.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 5:53PM
cheryl_ok

I also think windex isn't what it use to be. My mirrors, windows etc just don't look like they should.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:06PM
threejs

Use crumbled up newspaper just the printed stuff, no flyers or shiny papers. It works with the windex or any brand, none of which do as they used to. Most of the time I just use vinegar straight from a spray bottle, after giving the windows a wipedown with a clean paper towel or cloth in a bit of soapy water. Have always done the inside from top to bottom and the outside from side to side .....if they still have streaks I know whether it is inside or out.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:37PM
azzalea

I just use regular rubbing alcohol. Nothing I've found works as well, as quickly. And, of course, black printed newspaper

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 8:15PM
Tally

Gave up on windex years ago.

Only use Sprayway.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 9:48PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I use a mixture I make of 1 part rubbing alcohol to 1 part water in a spray bottle. It does a much nicer job than Windex. No smears. No jumping up to go at a spot that looks foggy later on. I use this mixture for my counters and mirrors too. Some people like to put 1 drop of liquid dish soap in a 1 quart bottle of the alcohol and water mixture, but I prefer not to use it. I bought some Awesome at the Dollar Store after everyone was raving about it. I have not tried it on windows yet.

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 10:02PM
Sue_va

I think I'll not buy any tomorrow and just try some of your suggestions. I use to use newspaper but had changed to paper towels. Think I'll go back to newspaper.

Also should go back and read before submitting!

Thanks,

Sue

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 11:19PM
fran1523

I used a mixture I found on line to clean windows and it was amazing. It was vinegar, warm water and cornstarch, but I don't remember the proportions. I'm sure you could find it if you look.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 8:46AM
grandma_bonnie

I use Windex on my windows and haven't noticed that they weren't as good as they should, but no streaks - I also use Windex as an ant spray which works wonderfully! Plus it's safe to use around children and pets... We had such an infestation this last summer that I had to add Terro to to my remedies for them - they would march in every day! I used the Terro in high places and behind places the kids and dogs could get to...My DH sprays them outside which (in my opinion) drives them inside...

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 8:49AM
dbfirewife

I too use the 1/2 alcohol 1/2 water mix except that I add 1TBS of amonina to this mixture. It is by far the best window cleaner I have ever used. It does wonders on my bathroom mirrors that I used to have problems with smears and streaks constantly. I buy the cheapest paper towels made, for cleaning windows and mirrors. I will never buy Windex or any other cleaner again.. this is just the best stuff... and it's cheap to make.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 12:11PM
Cynic

Many cleaners use alcohol. It's not because it's a good cleaner, but because it dries quickly. Quicker you get it dry, less chance of streaks. Many times you really don't need a "cleaner" other than water. I've asked many pros what they use on commercial buildings and several say only water. A little scrubber to wash away dirt and they use the squeegee to get it dry. At the gas stations I always used a car window squeegee and water, or in the winter, windshield washer fluid. Many people use that for glass cleaner too. And

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 3:18PM
iowagirl2006

Another Sprayway user here - that stuff is THE BEST glass cleaner I have ever used. Hands down. I will not use anything else.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 7:29PM
morz8

I still use Windex for many things inside, including the bathroom mirrors.

For larger windows, DH does them. Inside it's windex and clean (old) towels. Outside, a bucket of warm water, long handled extension soft brush, a sploosh (bigger than a splash) of ammonia and once in a while just a bit of dry laundry detergent, he hoses them off, no squeegee, no streaking, not ever.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 11:02PM
lindyluwho

RainX glass cleaner (not the stuff that goes in the windshield washer). It's in the Automotive section. Was recommended to me by the man who installed my glass shower doors.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 11:25PM
terilyn

I just use a wet microfiber cloth and then wipe with a dry one. Of course, that is when I actually clean windows.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 11:25PM
kacram

hot water and a Trasan micro fiber cloth

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 11:32PM
jannie

My Mom didn't use Windex, just a mix of 2 parts water, one part ammonia, in a spray bottle. She used white tissue paper.Remember when department stores would give you free boxes and tissue paper?

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 9:15AM
Sue_va

I decided to try Sprayway, so last night I checked to see where it is available, even found a coupon for it, but when I tried to get the coupon, my computer had a hissy-fit. (It has been doing that a lot lately.) I'll try again another time.

Sue

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 10:43AM
Georgysmom

A friend told me her window washer uses a little bit of dawn liquid dish detergent mixed with water....no streaks. That's what I've been using ever since.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:05AM
country_bumpkin_al

Someone here mentioned a "cloth" (not the microfiber kind) several years ago. I found some on eBay. LOVELOVELOVE them. But can't think of the name! :(

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:15AM
Elraes Miller

Yes to dish washing soap plus water. Then a clean rinse and squeegee. One has to be in the mood to move fast before any drying occurs.

I am believing that all of our cleaning products have been messed with. Bleach doesn't do what it once did and laundry soap is a hit/miss. I tried peroxide on whites and am floored how wonderful they turn out, even a bit on stains and gone.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 1:56PM
linda_in_iowa

I have always washed my windows with vinegar water and dried them with newsprint. I like Sprayway for mirrors. DS said that is what they used when he worked as an auto detailer.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
What's for Dinner ... Friday?
No new precipitation here in my part of Ohio. Just...
gadgets
Should I feel guilty?
For being at tkt all day at work? I get bored when...
lisaw2015
Loaves of bread
Has anyone else noticed that a loaf of bread is much...
enjoyingspring
Houzz, no moving forum?
Having trouble getting myself motivated. Need to clean...
josephene_gw
Do you use your phone as a camera?
I don't even have a cell phone but I read this today....
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™