salt substitute

goldyDecember 9, 2012

Please give me a few names of good salt substitutes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

There's a salt sub from Morton's, and there's also Mrs. Dash, which is an herb blend.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 1:05PM
carol_in_california

Check with your doc before using salt substitute.....especially if your kidney function tests are abnormal.
Instead of using a salt substitute, use herbs and lemon juice instead.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 1:48PM
azzalea

And why are you considering one in the first place? If you have high blood pressure, you only need give up salt if you're salt sensitive--only about 10% of the population will have their BP adversely affected by eating salt. However, drs don't discuss that with you--it's easier to just tell everyone to avoid it than to figure out who needs to, who doesn't.

Now there are other health issues where eating salt IS a problem. And you shouldn't go against your drs orders without talking to him about it, anyway.

But I will tell you this--20 years ago, I was put on BP meds, and told to avoid high sodium foods. I took the meds and avoided adding salt, deli meats, canned and other process foods, etc. My BP, of course, came down. After many years of eating bland foods, and learning more about high BP (namely that most people won't be harmed by a little salt), I cautiously went back to using it. And it made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in my readings.

Do follow your dr's advice, please, but do research the issue of salt sensitivity, and discuss that with him. The chemicals in salt subs aren't exactly the best choice for many of us, either, and it may be you can stick with the lesser of those 2 evils.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 2:16PM
patti43

Mrs. Dash and Spike are our favorites. I think I like Mrs. Dash (original) best.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 2:26PM
goldy

Thankyou all.you have been very helpful

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 2:50PM
YogaLady1948

Bragg~~~Organic Sea Kelp Delight seasoning~~24 herbs and spices 0 sodium

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Maybe I'll make a snowman
More snow on the way, I think it's been more than 30...
cheryl_okla
Amazing Aunt Audrey
Let's start a Chain Reaction Game! Get some activity going here.
We played this one before so it should be familiar...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Raven, I need help with Dragon Touch
My father got a Dragon Touch for Christmas. I set...
wanda_va
A new Random Letters game
Remember this one? You post a string of 6-7 random...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™