Here Comes Our Snow

chisueDecember 20, 2012

DH just checked the gutters near the sycamore in advance of the snow warning that is to begin this afternoon and run for 24 hours.

We're at 44F with rain now, but temperatures are to plunge with more rain, then ice, then snow and high winds. Perfect conditions for power outages and traffic accidents. The city may not have more than three inches, but immediately north of us in Wisconsin may get a foot. Some schools have already declared Friday a snow day.

We've had NO snow until this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_in_iowa

This is our first snow, also. About 10 inches.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 12:25PM
Cynic

We got about 10" a little over a week ago I think it was. Settled a lot. Doesn't look anywhere near what it looked like at first. Been a cold dry winter here so far. Nothing too unmanageable though. Pretty dry fall too so not much moisture in the ground which isn't good.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 4:05PM
Kathsgrdn

It's been cold and raining all day today. Dark sky...snow supposed to start tonight. Not looking forward to it because I have to work in the morning. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just me on the road...but there are always idiots who insist on driving 90 mph on ice.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 4:50PM
blfenton

We've had 3-4 inches over the last couple of days. Here on the west coast we don;t do snow very well. Actually we prefer not to do it at all. It's raining now so hopefully I'll have my green grass back by Sunday.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 6:44PM
sleeperblues

I know they had at least of foot of snow in Madison, cancelled finals today. We are in the far north and have about 5 inches, but temp is now plummeting and wind is picking up.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 10:24PM
chisue

There goes our snow...

Big whoop! We have a dusting. That storm whipped by us so fast there wasn't time for it to leave anything. We heard the wind last night, but had no damage and no electrical outages. Goodie! Mid-20's today.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 11:03AM
jemdandy

I spent 2 hours digging out two cars in my driveway, and clearing the drive and sidewalk. The stuff stuck to the shovel - nasty. Luckily, the snow blower was able to move the snow without plugging. The water content is high. The snow plow gift on the sidewalk was not welcomed.

The doors on one car was welded shut by ice.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 6:03PM
patti43

Gosh, I hate that you all have to drive in that stuff. Hope the sun comes out an melts it all away before your family/friends come for Christmas. Or if you have to go out and go to them.

Chisue, really hoping that snow is gone by Tuesday morning. DSis#1 and DBIL are flying out to Milwaukee and driving to Gurnee, IL that morning for Christmas with their kids. They live in NW IN in the summer and here in winter. Don't know why they don't just have the kids all come here!

Please be careful everyone--especially if you're out shoveling. Very hard on us as we get a little older.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Snakes!
It is that time here. There are snakes everywhere....
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
caseynfld
Let's get to know each other March 1, 2015
Its been a really long time since we did this and I...
JoAnn_Fla
What's for Dinner, Tuesday?
A gorgeous day today, spring might be here to stay. I...
Jasdip
Better Call Saul...
Did anyone watch the two episodes last Sunday and Monday?...
Shelgal
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Nomad Red 6' x 9'
Home Depot
Dale Tiffany Genova Table Lamp
$289.99 | LuxeDecor
Parakeet Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Mea Bolster Pillow
$79.00 | FRONTGATE
Del Mar Grey 50 x 120-Inch Blend Stripe Curtain
$61.95 | Bellacor
Colonial Mills Ticking Stripe Stair Tread - Oval - 8 x 28 in. - Set of 13 - TK10
$187.99 | Hayneedle
Piper Chandelier
Lightology
Fairmont Designs Lifestyle Collection Shaker Drawer Bridge - Dark Cherry
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™