Help with knitting

cookie8December 8, 2012

I am hoping someone can help me out with this. I haven't knit in years and decided to make my mom a hat for Christmas (which I promised her years ago). Anyways, I am using a very fuzzy yarn and I can't tell if it is the right side or wrong side. I am supposed to knit every row to 2 1/2 inches and then finish on the wrong side. You can't see anything through all the fluff and fuzz. So, should the tail be on the right or left end for wrong side? I am at the 2 1/2 inch mark with my tail on the right (but not the right side of the fabric because I don't what that is?? sorry to complicate things) side ready to go to the next step. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheilajoyce_gw

Usually the pattern will say at one point which rows are the right side, the odd rows or the even rows. If you can't tell and the pattern doesn't say, then I would not worry about it.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 11:37AM
cookie8

True. I wasn't thinking ahead. If you can't even see the yarn, it will be fine regardless. Man, I should have went with a standard yarn to get back into it with because this embellished yard is sooooo hard to deal with.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 11:46AM
foggyj

I agree. If you can't tell, then it won't be a problem.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 11:59AM
Vickey__MN

Add me to the can't tell, doesn't matter. If you're wrong..it's a personalization to the pattern!!

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 12:42PM
tami_ohio

If I am thinking correctly, wrong side should be on the left at the end of the row. I maybe wrong, as it's been a while since I knit flat. Most of my knitting lately has been in the round. But if you can't tell which side is which with the fuzzy yarn, don't worry about it.Welcome back to the world of knitting!

Tami

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 2:59PM
Lindsey_CA

There is a super-easy way to tell if you are about to knit a right-side or a wrong-side row.

When you are knitting flat (not using circular needles), when you are done with the cast-on, the "working yarn" will be on the pointed-end of the needle - correct? (I purposely didn't say "at the right" because there are some left-handed knitters). Depending on the cast-on method you use, the "tail" will be at either the left end or the right end of the needle.

All you have to do is to take note of which end of the needle has the tail when you're done with the cast-on; and then note whether the first row that you knit is a wrong-side row or a right-side row.

So, let's say that the tail is at the left end of the needle, and the first row you knit is a right-side row. You will always know that you're starting a wrong-side row when the tail is at the right end of the needle.

In this photo, the tail is at the left, and the working yarn is on the right. If the first knitted row is a right-side row, then the knitter will know that every time the tail is at the pointed end, the row will be a wrong-side row; and every time the tail is at the "blunt" end (like in the photo), the row will be a right-side row. And vice versa if the first row is a wrong-side row.

This post was edited by Lindsey_CA on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 14:34

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 7:23PM
jannie

Lindsey- Great help! I often get mixed up when knitting. I made a scarf for my daughter one year using pom-pom yarn and got so lost I gave up and just kept knitting. It turned out fine. I know there are row-counters available but I'm lazy. I had one major problem knitting in the round- I couldn't join the first row and the hat I was trying to make became such a mess, I just cut the yarn and threw it away. I have since seen a method for joining in the round which involves knitting in the front and back of the joining stitch. Good luck to Cookie8!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:29AM
cookie8

That's perfect! I don't know how long my knitting "career" will last though. The boa yarn is killing me. I can't tell what is what. I usually end up with a couple of extra stitches which I have to blend in the next row. It's very forgiving to look at though. Here's hoping it doesn't unravel they first time my mom wears it! I'll try to post a picture when I am done - yes, I am that proud.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:38PM
tami_ohio

For your next project, pick something in a regular stranded yarn. It won't be as difficult and you will enjoy it more. And be hooked again!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 1:24PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Here is a trick someone suggested to me online via her grandmother's advice to her. When you are knitting in the round, cast on one extra stitch. I knit the first row, and make the last stitch the same as the first. Let's say the first stitch was a knit, then I knit that last extra stitch. Then I make sure the stitches are all lined up evenly, slip the last stitch next to the first stitch on the left needle, and then knit the first and last stitch together as one stitch for a strong join. I like this method best to get a nice, strong and even looking join.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 1:32PM
jannie

I "get it" Joyce. Thanks!

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
New Story on my Blog
New Blog post today newpostbyseniorgal
seniorgal_gw
Williamsburg, VA.
We have about 8" of snow right now. A very heavy...
Georgysmom
Today is a tough one
My husband died 14 years ago today All day I have...
satine_gw
Done With Stupid Tax
I posted a couple of times about paying "Stupid...
vicsgirl
Wasting an Airline's Time -- My Rant
My annual complaint: I guess I have taken up at least...
chisue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™