Beer Bread~~~

YogaLady1948December 14, 2012

I need a good recipe~~~my family loves it, I usually by Tastfully Simple boxes of it, but no one was having a party. So I will have to wing it, with the KT's help;)

Namaste

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenda_al

Beer Bread
Posted by luckygardnr (My Page) on Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 4:11

I may have posted this one before, but it is T and T and so easy and delicious.
Beer Bread

3 cups self-rising flour*
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 (12-ounce) can of beer
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 375*F (190*C). Lightly grease or spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine all ingredients, mixing well.

Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf. ***I brush the top with melted butter before baking

*Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose flour, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 10:53AM
drewsmaga

I can't help with a recipe. The BEST beer bread I ever had was at Wunsche Brothers Cafe in Spring, Texas. Opened in 1902.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 1:17AM
lindalou

this bread is out of this world. but, pour 1/4 cup of melted butter over the top before baking. produces a really crunchy crust.

Here is a link that might be useful: whole wheat beer bread

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 7:23AM
nickel_kg

Beer Yeast Bread
Yeasty and tender bread is quick and very easy to make.

2 and 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)

1 cup beer
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon honey (may increase to 2 tbsp)

1 egg

Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, caraway, salt, and yeast and stir to blend. In a saucepan, combine beer, butter and honey and heat to very warm (butter will get very soft or melt, but don't allow the mix to boil). Pour into flour mixture. Add the egg. Mix to blend, then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes in the mixing bowl.

Stir down dough and pour into prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes, then bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 30-35 minutes until bread is deep golden brown. Remove from pan and cool until barely warm before slicing.

Recipe works very well with a red or brown ale, such as Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 8:44AM
Oakley

I made a Beer Bread I got off the Internet last night, and I have to say, it was THE best bread ever. The melted butter poured on top..oh my!

Thankfully we had some self-rising flour.

The key to this bread is to SIFT SIFT SIFT the flour. Which is real easy if you have one of those mesh drainers w/handle. Here's the recipe.

Beer Bread

3 c. SIFTED Self-rising Flour
1/4 c. Sugar
1 egg
1 12 oz. Beer, any flavor except Lite (My beer was cold)
1/2 c. melted Butter

Mix first 4 ingredients together with a Whisk. Pour into sprayed loaf pan. Gently smooth top of batter. Pour melted butter on top. Bake for 45-55 min (until light golden brown) at 350.

Let sit in pan for about 10 minutes. Invert.

If you don't have self-rising flour, you can find other recipes online, but you'll need baking powder and I think more sugar.

I can't praise this bread enough!

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 1:40PM
gabriell_gw

I've made beer bread in the past but my problem has been buying beer since our town has been "dry" for many years. We just voted to sell beer and wine. It's on my grocery list to buy self rising flour and beer. I like the sound of the recipe with an egg. The one I've always used doesn't call for one.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 8:51PM
glenda_al

Bisquick beer bread
INGREDIENTS:

4 cups Bisquick
4 teaspoons sugar
8 ounces beer

DIRECTIONS:

Mix Bisquick, sugar and beer until smooth. Pour in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 degrees F until brown.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 8:59PM
YogaLady1948

Thanks everyone~~~now I just need to decide which one to use;)

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 9:27PM
Cynic

To quote Homer: "mmmmm Beer..."
Here's a few more variations:

This is the one I've used. It's great.

BEER BATTER BREAD
⢠3 C flour
⢠1 T baking powder
⢠3 T sugar (another used 1 T)
⢠1-teaspoon salt
⢠1 (12 oz) beer (room temp)
⢠1/4 C melted unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 375ðF. In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add the beer all at once, mixing as little as possible; the batter should be lumpy.

Pour the batter into a 9âÂÂx5âÂÂx3â loaf pan and brush with the melted butter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Makes 1 loaf.
Note: I usually just pour the butter over it rather than brush it.

I believe the following came from Nodakgal IIRC

Simple Beer Bread
⢠3 C Pancake Mix
⢠12 oz Beer
Mix and bake in loaf pan 350 for 50 min or til done.

Recently found this and am anxious to try it

Farmgirl Susan's Almost Too Easy Whole Wheat Beer Bread

2 C organic whole wheat flour
1 C organic all-purpose flour
1 T granulated sugar
1 t salt
1 T baking powder (make sure it's fresh!)
14 oz beer (or 12 oz beer & 2 oz water)
⢠Opt glaze: 1 egg & 2 teaspoons water, beaten

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. The batter will be thick.

Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan, brush with the egg glaze if desired, and bake 375ð until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 min. Makes 1 loaf.

⢠Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 min.
⢠Remove from the pan and cool 10 more min.
⢠Serve warm or at room temp.

Now for something a little different. I imagine you could easily adapt this for the oven rather than the ABM

ABM Bacon Beer Bread

3/4 C flat beer
3 1/4 C bread flour
1/2 C water
1 T granulated sugar
1/4 C chopped green onions
3/4 t salt
2 T prepared mustard
1 3/4 t active dry yeast
1 T softened butter
1/3 C crumbled cooked bacon

Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturerâÂÂs directions. Select Basic White cycle. Add bacon at the beep. Makes one (1 1/2 pound) loaf.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 12:29AM
Oakley

Yoga, I'd use the one with melted butter poured over the top. It seeps inside the bread, on the outside and down to the bottom leaving the best after-taste ever. It's one of those breads that when you finish, the great taste stays with you so you want to go back for more!

The bread rises like yeast bread because it has the yeast from the beer in it. It ends up with little air pockets inside too. Yum.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:32PM
lindyluwho

Is the sugar really necessary? I made this today and it tastes more like cake. I'd like to leave the sugar out.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 6:52PM
Cynic

I only use about a tablespoon. I'm guessing the sugar helps for a bit of a crust? Try it without and let us know. I'd guess it's not a critical component.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 7:12PM
YogaLady1948

I just made the Bisquick one and it turned our heavy~~~the post said add 8oz of beer, it needed way more. I had a 12oz can and poured the 8oz and started mixing, I could tell it was not enough beer BUT I had already drank some of what was left;) So I poured about 2oz more in but I think it really needed 12oz,BURP my mistake.

Tomorrow when DH goes on a beer run for out party,I will just have him pick up some store bought rolls~~~I am tired.
Cleaning and prepreping has done me in~~~we are having our family gift giving tomorrow. I can not wait to see the gkids;)

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
"Gentle" hypoallergenic mascara?
So, after 35 years of no problems, it seems most store-brand...
jewelisfabulous
Have You Found Any Bargains Lately?
Have you found any bargains lately? I needed a gallon...
marilyn_sue
First one arrived safe and sound
First calf of the season arrived today. Mom and baby...
prairie_rose
My mother in law passed yesterday
Bless her heart, she fell and her head hit the wall...
PKponder TX
Utah
Moving to Ogden, Utah. Not Mormon. What can I expect...
Deeby
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™