Question about Tipping

jannieDecember 19, 2012

Not sure what to do. Our kitchen floor was ruined several years ago when our dishwasher flooded. It was linoleum and really "buckled" from the flood. So this year, we're spending our Christmas money on a new vinyl floor from Sears. The installers are coming today. Since we are paying Sears plenty, we know these guys are a contract company, they'll get paid. But should I also give them a tip? If so, how much? I'm thinking no tip or maybe $20 per person. What do you do in this situation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

go to this tipping page for answer.
This is also on the "Misc" page on the KTGP

Here is a link that might be useful: Tipping etiquette

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 9:59AM
azzalea

If they come out and just do their job, I see no reason to tip people who are making a decent wage--I'll generally supply drinks and have a freshly baked pan of brownies or cookies available.

If, on the other hand, you expect more than normal--you have a lot of heavy furniture and expect them to move it, maybe an island that has to be moved? or the damage floor has deteriorated to the point where it's pretty offensive to work with? Then, yes, I'd give them something extra.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 10:43AM
pammyfay

If they'll be moving heavy furniture, something tells me that will end up on your final bill -- but if you see it doesn't, I agree with azzalea on that point.

Otherwise, no, I wouldn't tip them.
(Now, MOVERS I will tip.)

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 10:59AM
jannie

I've decided to tip each guy (2 of them) $20 each. I have a large, heavy island piece that they were very careful about moving. Plus they moved the raqnge and fridge. And they did some sub sub-flooring repair, part of the Sears contract. So I figure an extra $20 each is fine.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:03PM
patti43

Jannie, we recently got a new frig and I tipped $10 for each of the two guys. Wasn't much moving except for the old frig which I plugged into another kitchen plug. I think you were very generous--and it is the season, isn't it?

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:30PM
Cynic

If someone "just does their job" and no more, I don't like to tip, even at a restaurant. I consider a tip a gratuity, something I give because I'm grateful for what I've received. When they do something extra, go out of their way to be careful and/or courteous, or the like, I appreciate it and I show it.

When they delivered my stove and frig I gave them each $10 because they were extra careful and went out of their way to do their job well. I think you were kind and generous with what you gave them. I'm sure they appreciated it.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Tuesday's Trivia Quiz
ATOMICJAY was the first to get the right answer. GEORGYSMOM...
Jasdip
5 word game
Start with a word and from that word create 5 new words...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Whose fault is it if a dog attacks?
My neighbor has no gate on his now....fenced in yard(it...
nicole___
My Mother
We just had last rites performed for my mother. Hospice...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Drapes, 84 or 98?
Do you prefer your drapes hung near the ceiling (98)...
lucillle
Sponsored Products
Spring Air Back Supporter Four Seasons Box Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set
Hayneedle
52" Kauai Corner Acrylic Tub
Signature Hardware
Max Tortoise Bronze LED Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$238.32 | Bellacor
Zenith Bath Organizers Hawthorne 24.5 in. W Wire Space Saver in Satin Nickel
$54.97 | Home Depot
Personalized Brown Server with Iron Base - 12" dia.
$145.00 | FRONTGATE
Which Came First Dishtowel - Set of 2
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
'Dear Grandma, From You to Me' Keepsake Memory Book
$11.99 | zulily
Modern Fan Company | Pensi Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™