Charity Navigator

bee0hioDecember 13, 2012

Are you aware of this web site that helps you figure out if a charity is worthy of your donations & is putting your donations to good use? It is really interesting & eye opening.

Here's a few examples of things I thought were revealing:
*National Center for Missing & Exploited Children earns 4 stars (top) vs Operation Lookout = 0 stars

*American Cancer Society's CEO compensation = $2 million

*I've frequently seen the Trace Atkins tv ads for Wounded Warriors (3 stars, 36.8% of revenue goes to fundraising).
Compare that to Operation Homefront 4 stars & 3.3% Fundraising Expenses.
Compare to Paralyzed Veterans of America = 60% fundraising expenses and overall 2 stars (but break that down, they got 0 stars for Financials but 4 stars for "Accountability & Transparency" (so they don't hide how inefficient they are & helps their overall star rating)

In this season of giving, I thought this might provide some helpful info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charity Navigator

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dedtired

I used to do fund raising for non-profits for a living, so I am well acquainted with Charity Navigator. I'm so glad you pointed it out, especially at this time of year when so many people make their year-end charitable contributions.

All non-profits have to come up with their "cost per $1 raised." In other words, what it costs them to raise a dollar. Some are much too high, such as the ones you cited, and indicates poor management as well as bloated staff salaries. Sadly, their are a number of organizations raising money in the name of military veterans who are guilty of this.

Definitely check out your favorite charity before giving!

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
What did you do, during the recent cold and snow?
I shoveled, I baked, I baked and I recovered chair...
OklaMoni
How to express sorrow at this late date?
I just found out a former neighbors daughter was killed...
josephene_gw
Should I chair?
Next year will be our 50th high school graduation....
secsteve
A thank you and my latest email from Sandie
I did my best to send Sandie a copy of all your sweet...
Granlan TX
Recipes to share?
Time for a new recipe share thread? I have been seeing...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™