Does zicam work?

sleeperbluesDecember 7, 2012

I woke up today with a mild sore throat and headache, and don't want it to progress. Has anyone taken zicam for this, and did it work for you? I hate being sick, and now is a really bad time to get sick but I don't want to waste my money if it's not going to work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azzalea

I've used zicam for years. My dr. recommends taking zinc at the first sign of a cold. It doesn't cure the cold, but it makes the symptoms much less, and usually shortens the length of a cold to about 3 days for me (instead of the usual 6-7). However, I did find the old nasal spray version worked a little better than the dissolve-under-your-tongue tablets do. And with the tablets of pretty much any brand I've tried, you will probably have a bad taste in your mouth for the days you take them. They're pretty foul, but they do work, so it's worth putting up with.

Hope you feel better.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 8:13AM
sleeperblues

Thanks, I think I'll grab some after work.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:06AM
azzalea

Any chance you could grab some on the way in? It's most effective if you take it immediately, rather than waiting several hours.

Good luck, feel better. Horrible time to be sick (not that there's ever a good time!)

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:19AM
alisande

Zicam has been under fire for causing people to lose their sense of smell. Apparently the offending products were withdrawn from the market in 2009. Here's Snopes' explanation of the situation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zicam

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 9:34AM
azzalea

Yes, that's the nasal spray, but you can get the lozenges--they work, too, just not as well as the nasal stuff did (which never bothered me, my sense of smell is just as hyper-sensitive as it's always been! Actually wouldn't have minded it being toned down just a bit--LOL). The lozenges aren't associated with the problems the nasal spray supposedly cause for some people.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 10:15AM
Fun2BHere

I've used the meltaways successfully. They really shortened my cold last winter.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 10:19AM
linda_in_iowa

I have used Zicam but I prefer the ColdEeze lozenges for shortening cold symptoms.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 2:50PM
dorothy_oahu

I've been using Aicam for years and It's always worked very well for me! It works BEST if you take it as soon as you start to feel that little scratchy sore throat just starting so try to get some right away. I haven't had a cold for years. I always keep some on hand.I used to catch a lot of colds because I am diabetic type I and now my age makes me susceptible. I have taken different forms of it but they all seem to work.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 3:08PM
chisue

Since most of us respond favorably to taking any pill, even a placebo, it's hard to say 'nevermind'!

I shoulda been a Christian Scientist, huh?

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:34AM
YogaLady1948

I used Zicam last week and I swear by my Netti pot, I also take Turmeric 2x's daily, I added an extra one in the mix. I also drank an Echinacea tea several times a day. I also swear by making a fresh Ginger tea, with honey and lemon. It all seemed to work. Or I drank so much I flushed it out;)

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 12:23PM
liz

i used it last month and nipped a cold in the bud...I swear by ZICAM!

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Women On 20s
Have you heard of this? There is a movement to replace...
bee0hio
Some comedy for "Call the Midwife" fans (and others!)
Call the Midwife Comic Relief Sketch
Alisande
Tuesday's Trivia Quiz
ATOMICJAY was the first to get the right answer. GEORGYSMOM...
Jasdip
Drapes, 84 or 98?
Do you prefer your drapes hung near the ceiling (98)...
lucillle
What's for Dinner ... Tuesday?
It was all nice and sunny here in my part of Ohio till...
gadgets
Sponsored Products
Armen Living Sonata 26 in. Backless Counter Stool - Leather Seat - LCSTBACHBR26
$142.20 | Hayneedle
Little Rock Home Personalized Framed Wall Decor - 18W x 24H in. - WAL-WMY-Z-F
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Signature Designs by Ashley Gavivi Dark Brown Metal Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Brio Blue and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$323.00 | Bellacor
Saucer Table Lamp
$240.00 | Bellacor